Author Topic: Console at holiday party  (Read 1206 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Console at holiday party
« on: December 23, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »
I asked permission of the pot-luck crew who had no idea what I had up my sleeve. Thinking of all my players and heirloom records, I just could not stand another year with a portable CD player and the newer generation of holiday music on that format.

It was my easy-to-move 1959 Zenith SFD2505 that filled the room with a tube-era ambiance everyone who forgot about yet suddenly recognized. Maybe it was not the player so much as the records. Andy Williams & brothers, Bing Crosby-later, Mario Lanza - a great tenor, Readers Digest, Goodyear and Firestone Christmas compilations with all the past greats.

The place I work is a converted Armory dating to 1874, when horses were stabled there. The potluck was about 40 folks in a huge room was carpeted with 16-foot acoustical tile ceilings. The Zenith gracefully added something typical gatherings lack as I was thanked by many. In honor of all the old folks we lost over the years and memory of the holiday parties they hosted. I'm pretty sure that's really why I did it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All

Dave
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Console at holiday party
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:51:08 AM »
Merry Christmas to you, Dave.  That was a nice gesture. 

We get to host the family New Year's party this year.  It will feature our Magnavox Imperial and NO CELL PHONES.  Don't even bring a phone into our home.  The rule is if you need that cellphone more than you do family, then stay home.  We did that last year for Christmas and it was well-received, even by tweenagers.  I would way rather see an old stereo console at a gathering than I would seeing all the attendees on their phone.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »
The real problem with cell phones isn't the devices, it's the people who use them.  There's nothing more annoying that being in a conversation with somebody and having their cell phone ring--and they answer it, breaking up the conversation!  Seems to me that real people and the immediate gathering are more important than incoming calls.  Of course, there are exceptions, times when an important message is urgently awaited, but 99% of the calls are just garden-variety contacts that can wait.

Chris Campbell
who uses a flip phone

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
A good console generates the atmosphere of ease and hospitality.  The poor things each slowly lost their best voice over the years and people have forgotten how good they really sound.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:06:05 PM »
I little late reading this....but I knew I like you Chris...I have a flip phone as well.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
The only problem is that young people think "old guy" plus "flip phone" equals "completely incompetent."  Today  was trying to do computer timekeeping at work and the little "no internet" icon was showing.  I hollered out to the secretary to see  if her internet service was out too, or if it was just a balky computer.  Our new twenty-something overheard that and popped her head in to make sure the old guy wasn't just flummoxed by technology.  I was right (I smiled to myself). Several incidents have reminded me lately of the perversity of inanimate objects, and that interesting concept made me wonder where it came from.  Google gave me this.

https://venturegalleries.com/were-all-victims-of-finagles-law-the-authors-collection/

and this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finagle's_law

The next time the computer balks or the soldering iron won't heat, remember Fnagle's Law.

Chris Campbell

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for sharing about your Christmas party. What a great idea. I'm sure everyone there enjoyed hearing music coming from a stereo console like yours. For some, it could have been their first time to see and hear something like that.

Regards,

Greg

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
I finally got rid of my flip phone.  I liked it, but Trac-Fone would not let me use it anymore.  I had it since 2003.  Now I have a modern touch phone, but I keep "butt-dialing" myself.  I will be working away with my phone in my pocket, turned off, then hear my wife screaming at me.  The phone turns on, I butt dial my wife, then she has to yell at me so I can hear it and shut it off.  My "rented grandson" who I taught to fry a turkey, got me a doodad to put my phone in so I don't butt dial myself.  So now I'm finally in the 20th Century....... ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:25 PM »
Greg,

I like that, "rented grandson".   And I still have a Trac-Fone, just got a new one and transferred all the minutes over.  I'm still in the 18th century.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
My land-line phone, the kitchen extension, is a rotary dial phone.  It's like having a manual transmission vehicle--the bad guys won't know how to use it.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »
I'm not that bad, my land line is touch but I do remember how to use the rotary dial.  Coming from a small town we had our own phone company.  Two sisters ran it and were also the operators.  I can still remember the "number please".   Also remember the day the rotary phone system came to town.  I guess I'm really old! 

Bill