Author Topic: The Close Of The First Year  (Read 434 times)

19and41

• View Profile
The Close Of The First Year
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
It's been a year since the first time I brought up my console and it's just aligned FM converter.  I tuned in the Vienna new year's concert and was amazed at how that 70 year old cabinet and shelves was able to reproduce every sound so well. I hope the new year brings us all some new finds to bring excitement and pleasure.   
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: The Close Of The First Year
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
We have been chosen to host the family soiree for New Years this time.  This will be a cellphone free activity, like we did Christmas last year.  If you need to be on the phone instead of visiting with family, just stay home.  Don't bring any electronic device whatsoever into the house.  I found out a couple hours ago that the wife's cousin is bringing a stack of Harry James records she has not heard in 40 years or so.  I guess we will use the Imperial to see how those sound.  Anything sounds better on a Magnavox, does it not?   :)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »
Mr. James was certainly no slouch.  He ought to give Imperial a run for it's money, blowing holes in tissues notwithstanding.  If you haven't done so yet, you ought to play that Kenton In Hi Fi album.  It's on CD or can probably be downloaded from Amazon.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »
I'll see if I can find the Stan Kenton album you mentioned.  Do you have any idea (of course you do!   :) ) what year it was recorded?  Hyper stereo?

My wife will be gritting her teeth listening to Harry James.  She (quite the trumpet player in her younger years) always maintained that Mr. James had a "lazy lip."  Pardon me, ma'am, but I don't see any records you recorded...... ;)   She was a Rafael Mendez (sp?) or Al Hirt fan herself.  There is an I-phone commercial on TV with some old guy doing a high dive with his stereo cell phone providing background music.  The trumpet player on that commercial is Rafael Mendez. 

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
According to the net, it was released in 1956.  I have the 2-track tape in stereo and it'll shake the house.

"Kenyon in Stereo" was the stereo lp rerelease.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
Some mono material, released at the dawn of stereo, actually sounds as good, or better, played on a good stereo than the stereo recorded couterpart.  I have a friend who is a Stan Kenton collector.  I'm trying to find out if he has that particular album.  Perhaps I might kipe it for free.   ;)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:01:13 PM »
I thought Stan played his mono records on a Zenith  ;) - see below. 

BTW, my wife's dad is working on my 1947 Magnavox Berkely's cabinet  ;D so I have reason to finish another on the long long list of projects, but I probably won't have the radio chassis fully recapped by new years.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »
That was a significant endorsement!  I had to get a capacitance meter to get the values of the caps that were in my Hepplewhite but not in the schematic nor layout, as the colors had changed on them.
Arthur C. Clarke