Author Topic: My Mangled MINI  (Read 2173 times)

electra225

• View Profile
My Mangled MINI
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
I have a black 2014 MINI Cooper S with a little over 12,000 miles on it that I am rather fond of.  Today is my day off this week, so I took the wife out for breakfast.  On our return we found our landscapers hard at work, so we parked the MINI on the street out of his way.  About ten minutes after he left, someone rang our doorbell frantically, numerous times.  I went to the door and found our neighbor there.  Somebody had hit my MINI!  The trash truck driver was driving down the road with his forks that lift trash cans up extended and nailed the MINI.  It was hit just below and to the outside of the RH headlamp.  It will need a hood, grille, bumper,front valance, headlamp (LED/Xenon) inner fender panel, plus who knows what else.  It may have pushed the fender into the door.  I figure about $10,000 if it did not get the strut tower.  The collision pushed the car up on the curb 30 feet from where it was parked, in park with the e-brake set.  I have some pictures if there is interest.  This has been one of those days.......... :-[
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: My Mangled MINI
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
From your description I won't be surprised if it's totaled. 

You have my condolences sir.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:17:08 PM »
If the strut tower is okay, the damage is sheet metal.  If it got the strut tower, then you might be right.  Something took a pretty good lick.  The seat covers and floor mats were all up under the dash.  I'll just have to wait to hear from the body shop at the dealer. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:28:40 PM »
At least you're in a salt-free environment, where the challenges of making a rust-free sheet metal repair are less severe.  My nice Mustang got hit by a drunk driver about 25 years ago and it has held up fairly well (not quite perfectly) because it hibernates indoors all winter.   Still, it's a shame when a nice car gets banged up.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
I'm paranoid sometimes and worry about stuff nobody else even considers.

I'm wondering about diminished value and warranty issues as a result of this incident.  I told the body shop I want all new parts and I need it to look absolutely like it did when it was new.  If it is only perfect, do it again.  There was not a mark on that car anywhere.  The garbage company does not want to use their insurance, they want to pay it themselves.  I have our insurance company on notice, since I'm not thrilled about doing work on the come.  The garbage company did the wrong thing.  Why should I trust them to make it right willingly.  My insurance company will fix it, then go after them.  I like that idea better.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:57:41 AM »
Get a few quotes, then hire a good attorney.  You might wind up with a Mr. and Mrs. Mini's.
--Larry

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 05:51:58 AM »
If they need target practice, send them to my house.  I'd gladly sacrifice my lucerne...

Sounds like a real kluster.  Not wanting to run it through their insurance company indicates to me that this isn't the first time something like this has happened...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
I'm bummed about the whole situation.  I wanted a MINI forever.  I looked for exactly the right one.  I was warned and I fell in love anyways, warts and all.  Now I get it run over by a garbage truck.  Everybody makes jokes about getting run over by a garbage truck, but I manage to have it actually happen to me.  I'm praying this is only a bump in the road in what will be a long and lustful relationship with my little black MINI.  If it had been my Buick, that would have been a lot more serious.  Yeah, I know.  It's only a car........ :-[

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
It would have been worse if the truck had sailed through your living room and destroyed your Concert Grand!
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »
Yeah, it's only a car, but cars are expensive now, and for some of us they are long-term investments of both money and effort.  The '38 Buick has been titled in my name since 1966, more years than when I bought it as an "antique car."  The '61 Chevy took me to my first day of high school in 1961. This is my 30th year owning the Mustang.  This will be the 50th year I've sailed and maintained the old sailboat, also a 1961 model. 

The only new car I've ever had was a sweet little red 1980 Datsun 510 station wagon.  It was a very nice little car but was reaching the end of its useful life in 1993 (rust--I had strapped the strut tower back in place with steel from the hardware store) when a Lincoln turned left in front of it in the rain.  The Lincoln driver was whining about how it was his favorite car.  I was thinking "Then you should drive more carefully, and what about my car?"

We hate to have our nice cars ruined by jerks, don't we?

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
And forget about respect for an d car on the road.  I had the '57 out once all last year.  It never fails that there's always some idiot, generally female--sorry but it's true--in an suv, on the phone out to push me off the road. 

Guess what--5000 pound plus cars with bias tires, drum brakes and single master cylinders do not stop on dimes.  And it needs evert one of those 300 horses under the hood to get it out of your way, too...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
The Concert Grand is safe, Larry.  It is 1400 miles to the east of this garbage truck driver.   ;)

I may have told you about my friend with a '38 side-mounted Special that he finally sold when he turned 93.  I could not believe he sold it.  Below is a picture of Dave with his car a couple years ago at our Buick-Olds-Pontiac show in Scottsdale.  Dave was the first man to have anything to do with me after I joined the local Buick club in 1985.  A genuinely good guy.  I did lots of work on this car when I had my shop.  It was one of the first cars to get my signature, undetectable 12 volt electrical system conversion.  Ford V-8's have the reputation for vapor lock, but there was no Ford ever built that vapor locked more easily than this old '38 Buick Special.  After the 12-volt conversion, it never vapor locked again.  The ignition and lights, starter and "genernator" ran on 12 volts and the radio, gauges and blower motors still ran on 6 volts. 

My wife says I'll be laughing about this episode in a week.  We'll see.  She is usually right, but this time she may be tempting fate.   :-\

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
Wow, nice '38.  Mine is still a "someday" project. I was appointed the official cat pee eradicator of the 1937-1938 Buick Club, after gaining experience when a malicious cat leaped into my Mustang and defiled the interior.  The worst part was the driver's seat back, which got sprayed right were the small of my back sweats, reactivating the odors.  I got rid of the smell and became momentarily famous.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
If I remember the story right, Dave bought this old '38 new or nearly new.  He used it as his business car in New York for something like 40 years.  He decided he wanted a car with air conditioning and power steering, so he bought a new '66 Buick Wildcat convertible to replace it.  Nobody would give him anything for the '38 on trade, so he kept it to "kick around in."  The Wildcat rusted into dust, but the old '38 was still going, albeit in need of some TLC.  He had the '38 repainted and had some mechanical work done before I met him.  The thing had a habitually leaky torque ball seal.  Oil from the transmission ran down the torque tube, overfilling the rear end, then the excess gear lube ran out the ends of the axle and greased up the rear brake shoes.  He was not in the mood to pay to have the torque ball seal fixed.  When the rear brakes started smoking excessively from the oil, he would bring the car in to me, I would pull the rear wheels and brake drums, squirt brake cleaner on the rear shoes or put the shoes in my hot water parts washer cleaning them off as well as I could, then I put them back on the car.  It would run okay for a couple years that way without giving any problem.  I had to refill the transmission occasionally, then the entire process would repeat itself.  As far as I know, Dave sold the car with a leaky torque ball seal. 

The car had my dual voltage 12 volt conversion.  I invented this system for a Ford V-8.  I was told numerous time the system would not work.  At last count there was one Ford V-8 with the system and 9 Buick Straight 8's with it, along with a Hudson Hornet.  It worked really slick and eliminated the necessity of an expensive 12 volt conversion on the radio, gauges and blower motors.  Dual Optima 6-volt batteries would fit into the original Buick battery holder and was not detectable by show judges.  At least two Buick Straight 8's earned Senior Preservation status with this system.  ON a flathead Ford V-8 the system was actually a 12 volt negative ground system for the lights, ignition, starter and "genernator" with a 6-volt positive ground system for the radio, gauges and blower motor.  That was the cool part, dual voltage and dual polarity.   ;)

I have to share this story.  If you look closely at the picture I posted, the left fender is a slightly different shade of brown than the right fender and the rest of the car.  Probably close to twenty years ago now, Dave brought his Buick to the local, yearly Buick show, held at one of the Buick dealers.  He had a flat tire while at the show.  So a bunch of us got a floor jack and put on the spare tire.  Simple, right?  We later learned that the spare we put on the left front corner of that old Buick was probably close to 40 years old at the time.  It was a Pure branded tire, probably bought at a Pure Oil station in New York, back in the day.  On the way home, that tire blew out at probably 65 miles an hour on a Phoenix freeway.  According to a Buick club member who was following the old '38, it went sideways thru six lanes of Sunday evening traffic, a couple times, before Dave got both ends of that heavy old Buick heading in opposite directions.  The guy following Dave in a much newer Buick was concerned, but apparently Dave was unfazed and cool as a cucumber bringing the car to a safe stop on the shoulder of the road.  The only real harm that was done was the tire came apart and beat the left fender up pretty good, along with the beauty ring and hubcap being AWOL.  Never did find them.  He had a local Maaco repaint the fender, cheaply I'd imagine, and the paint was not perfectly matched.  It was still that way when he sold the car.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
I went back to the the photo before checking which fender it was and eyeballed the LF one.. it is a bit lighter.  But I wouldn't turn it down if it showed up in my driveway.  That auto-lube system on the rear bearings and brakes probably extended the lives of both, but at the cost of actually stopping the car.

Now that dual polarity system...trying to wrap my mind around that, without success.  6V really isn't sufficient for that straight-8.  I still have the Sears one I bought for my car, keeping it with a notion of having it restuffed some day, as we do with the filter cap cans.

Chris Campbell