Author Topic: My Mangled MINI  (Read 2017 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Re: My Mangled MINI
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
It is nice to see hard luck not making much headway ti the process.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
I have a key to the storage building so if I can get to it I'll take a picture.

Bill

MEZLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »

So the Peterbilt trash truck may have put down my Mini, but the Mini also put down a Peterbilt!  It takes karma for a 2500 pound car to kill a semi........ ;)

;D ;)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
It will be another two to three weeks before I get my car back.  Parts availability, apparently.  I suspect a workload backup as well, although nobody is saying that.  That place is absolutely covered up with damaged cars.  They are parking broken cars in the employee parking lot and the garage is absolutely packed to the gills with cars in various stages.  There are three flatbed tow trucks hauling them in as fast as they can go.  I found out today that I will be receiving a new set of genuine Perelli "Mini tires" with the little dog and the factory nomenclature on them.  17" run-flats cost almost $2500 for a set of four.  The tires were flat-spotted when the car was pushed back and then a chunk was taken out of one when the car jumped the curb.  The jury is still out on the right front wheel.  It has a scratch on the inner rim where the inner fender panel scraped it.  They are going to send it out for polishing.  If that fixes the scratch, they will re-use it.  If not, the wheel will have to be replaced.  The particular alloy used in the wheel is such that if it is scratched, the integrity of the metal is suspect.  It will make another trip to the laser rack after repair to make sure alignment is still correct.  Picky bunch, those German car repair guys.  They are looking at stuff I would never have thought of.  I am going to have a lifetime warranty on parts, labor and materials.  Lifetime warranty on the transmission, driveshafts and CV joints, motor mounts and the subframe.  This to cover the possibility of hidden damage to these components not seen in their inspection.  The garbage company is having a fit.  I don't know what it cost to fix their trash truck, but my Mini is going to cost shy of $10,000 just about what I figured.  Quite possibly a $50,000 screw up by a trash truck driver trying to save a little time...... ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

MEZLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
The tires were flat-spotted when the car was pushed back and then a chunk was taken out of one when the car jumped the curb.

That was a good catch, glad you're getting replaced too!   ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »
Speaking of flat spots, I created 4 of them last spring.  It was an early spring drive in the Mustang.  I was on an unfamiliar road.  Came over a hill and headed downward, into the sun, windshield dusty, kinda thinking I knew where I was.  At the last moment, whoa, what's that stop sign doing there--and that intersecting road??  I did a 180 with the brakes locked in the middle of the intersection.  Luckily nobody was coming (they had the right of way).  I restarted the engine and hoped nobody was watching.  But there's a bit of bump-bump-bump in the tires. 

I have vowed to avoid stupidity from now on.  Wish it were so easy.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »
I have certainly pulled stunts while I am driving that the Good Lord decided to forgive me for on the spot and so it came out okay.  I have gotten by with stuff I should have gotten busted for and have been busted for stuff I should have been able to skate by on.  Getting run over by a garbage truck while I was in the house is a first for me.  I have gotten by with running with almost 108,000 pounds of wet corn, and have had to "fingerprint" a load of Caterpillar tractor batteries in the Missouri Port Of Entry for being 40 pounds over on my steering axle after they caught me sliding the tandem.  I got better at tandem sliding after that!   ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »
My '92 Ranger, a very nice truck, was involved in an accident while neither vehicle was being driven.   I had it parked at work. Some idiot borrowed a truck, parked it, turned it off, but did not put the automatic transmission in "park" position.  After he wandered away the truck began to roll until it stopped on the driver's door of my Ranger.  @#$&*!!!

It gets better.  I sued the dealership that loaned him the truck (they owned it) to cover my deductible.  They sent some hapless employee to court to oppose my complaint.  The judge asked why, since it was their guy's fault.  "We don't think it's fair."  The judge did.  I had a check in three days.

It gets better still. For some reason, my insurance company had made me pay the deductible and told me to go to small claims to recover it from the other side.   But once I did,  then they sent me a check to cover it.  So now I've made a profit of $500. 

And finally, best of all.  I agonized a bit but figured that I should 'fess up and tell the insurance company that the other side had already paid my deductible.  I  called the insurance company and explained that I had their check but the other side had already paid.  What should I do?  "If I were you, I'd cash it," said the nice lady.  I did.  And the body shop they sent me to did a really nice job on the door.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
We were advised this afternoon that the little Mini has passed its final laser frame inspection.  It is now residing in the paint shop, a complex behind and to the north slightly of the main body shop.  Three more weeks, at least.  That will make seven weeks to fix a little Mini Cooper with a banged up fender.  What if I had a Mercedes stretch limo?  That might take a couple years.  I'm having trouble remaining patient.  If I wanted to drive a white blah Toyota with plastic hubcaps, I would have bought one.  The garbage truck company is not pleased.  They believe they are getting hosed.  I believe they should train and supervise their drivers to be more careful.  Then admonish their safety personnel that a response to the concerns of the owner of a car you just ran over should not be "s**t happens." 

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Poor ol' garbage truck outfit.  Sounds like a learning experience to me.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
Oh, c'mon, be patient!  You're getting a first-class repair, apparently, and the wait will be worth it.  I've had good repairs and bad ones, and believe me, you'll be a lot happier in the long run by getting everything just right.  I've got a '65 Old Starfire sitting in storage.  I got rear-ended in Raleigh, NC in 1970.  I remember the insurance adjuster, a heavy guy smoking a big cigar.  I said I didn't want a re-chromed bumper.  He puffed a big cloud in my face and said "take it or leave it." I got the world's crummiest, restraightened, rewelded, rechromed bumper.  It's all rusty now, with a couple rust holes in it. I remember that adjuster every time I look at it (and the memory is not fond, as you may guess).  And the sheet metal work...or maybe I should say the bondo-slathering...is another reminder of careless work.  Luckily, there's a chrome trim piece that covers the horrors of it, but I know what's there.

So just wait, let them do the little car up right, and then enjoy having one that doesn't keep reminding you of schlock.  Maybe, in fact, you can reflect on the talented guys who worked hard to make it perfect.  If they did, send a box of donuts or cookies over afterward.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
I did not intend to sound ungrateful for the due diligence of the repair shop.  Quite the contrary.  They do stuff to common old ordinary "driver" cars that we used to do to high-dollar restorations.  My impatience comes from driving a Toyota.  My wife admonishes (!?) me to be grateful nobody was hurt and I don't have to walk.  I guess if I can't offer anything positive, I should shut up.  Okay.  I like the rear view camera.  It's cute.  It's color.  There, I feel better.  ;)

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
Just think, you have something nice and free to look forward to.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
OK, I get it... driving a Toyota is declasse and infra dig.  There, we've dispensed with the fancy foreign phrases.  Just view it as an opportunity to learn how the other half lives.  And as some sort of penance for lucking into a very OCD repair shop, one that will make your car literally as good as new.  Meanwhile, the other half like me make do in things like my Ford Ranger, and not just a Ford, but a 4-cylinder model.  But I'll confess that I adore my 4-cylinder Ford, as trusty and reliable a vehicle as you could hope for.  And it's theft-proof, since few people under the age of 40 can drive a manual transmission, and those who can aren't likely to be in the thief class.  And besides, who would steal a Ford Ranger?  Listen up now:  no more whining about Toyotas is allowed unless you get the Mini back and the kid from across the street backs into it the next day.  Then you're allowed two days of whining.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46:59 PM »
Fortunately, there is no kid across the street.  If the mailbox does not attack my car, I should be in the clear.   ;)