Author Topic: My Mangled MINI  (Read 2172 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: My Mangled MINI
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 01:58:24 PM »
I just got home with my un-mangled MINI.  They were good as their word.  I sure can't tell it has ever been damaged.  The most obvious thing I see is they did a better job applying the plastic paint protection film than what was there.  It goes up about 8 inches farther toward the windshield and is nearly invisible unless you know what you are looking for.  The final tab gave me heart failure.  $13,046.19.  Plus $1208.80 for the rent car.  Plus the damage to their trash truck.  That was a pretty expensive day.  That much damage and the car was still totally driveable.

The expensive part was the replacement of BOTH headlamps and all four tires.  That, alone, was over $7500.  There was a scratch about a half inch long on the LH headlamp that they could not polish out.  So that little scratch, caused when the hood was pushed over and the clip that held the trim ring caught the plastic lens, cost them another $2500.  They did not use a single used part.  If you have a German built car and it gets crashed, stand by.  It cost almost $500 to reprogram the air bags and the headlamps.  The MINI dealer did a $400 detail.  The certified "Mini banger" , David, made a screen for the intercooler, since I had asked him what I could do to prevent the cooler fins from getting dinged up.  There is not a mark or even a speck of dust anywhere on that car, upside, downside or in the middle.  When I got to the body shop, they had the car up on a drive-on MINI rack so I could see the bottom.  Show quality top to bottom.  I did not know body shops did that kind of work outside of restoration shops for old cars.  I am thoroughly impressed.  I intend to contact the MINI dealer and see if any service work should be performed since it sat for so long.  They drove the car 21.3 miles in total.  So the fear of someone joy-riding in my car was unfounded.  That mileage was to drive it to the MINI dealer for reprogramming work and detailing.  It sure is good to have my car back.   :)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you have any other trash services in your area?  They may be instituting a rate hike soon.  Congratulations on your repair.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »
I'm a "half empty" rather than a "half full" type of personality.  My first intention was to find something I did not like.  Ah-ha!  They decals under the hood were not where they were previously.  David had his documentation ready.  HE actually put them in the technically correct spot.  The factory just slopped them on "according to prevailing assemby line conditions."  They can positioned almost anywhere as long as they are in the general area of the RH hood hinge, readable from the front with the hood open.  This documentation is included in the "book" of paperwork I have documenting the repair.  They replaced about $5000 worth of stuff I would have been happy with like it was.  I would have left the grille alone.  The LH headlamp was good enough for me, and I'm pretty picky.  I would have left the tires alone.  They painted both doors because the fenders had very slightly contacted them.  I would have touched up the paint and moved on to the next project.  They painted both mirrors since removing the old paint protection "fogged" the paint.  They were anal about details.  I really felt inadequate.  I was under the opinion that NOBODY was pickier than I am.  I met my match in David.  I asked him if he would like to be a car show judge.  Oddly enough, he is not a car guy.  He believes old cars should be mashed into new Mercedes.  By the way, David the MINI banger believes Toyotas are "throwaway cars."  If you ever get a chance to see someone use one of those laser "frame benches" go for it.  Amazing is the only word I can come up with to describe them.  They remove the suspension on MINI's and shine the laser up thru the mounting holes.  If any hole does not allow the laser to pass just so-so, something is tweaked.  The days of the old "give-or-take" frame benches are over.  The paint was matched according to a formula contained in the VIN.  I thought that was pretty cool, too.  Like the interior wood and the hides on a Rolls Royce.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
When you get superior work, it's always important to say thank you. Not just a hollered "thanks a lot" out the window as you drive away, but a nice note of some kind, or maybe a box of donuts delivered some morning for the work crew.  We Americans are experts at griping and complaining but not so good at acknowledging good work.  It's amazing how surprised people are when you take the time to thank them and recognize their effort.

And the reason for donuts and not a case of beer is that most workplaces don't tolerate alcohol.  When my old sailboat was 50, I took some sparkling wine for a little celebration with the launch crew.  My mom suggested bringing some non-alcoholic sparkly because they probably couldn't drink the real thing, even in moderation.  She was right.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »
I had not considered the donuts angle.  I had planned to send a thank-you note.  Thanks for the suggestion.   :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
Congrats on getting the Mini back and that it looks better than new!  And yes the donut thing work.  At a doctor visit awhile back the check in nurse was in a really good mood that day and teasingly said she would wave the copay for donuts.   The next time I went in I took 2 dozen assorted donuts.  I thought the whole office was either going to kiss me or adopt me or both.  It really made their day!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »
Our insurance paid the rental car charges, all but 20% over $1000.  So we owed something like $38.  The trash company is hacked that we went thru out insurance instead of letting them take care of it.  They informed us that they had up to a year to pay for the damage, and that they were going to take every day they had to pay us our $38.  They have already paid nearly $15,000, but are making a stink about the final $38.  We may have to take them to small claims court over $38.  I did not get to give them a year for approval to hit my car, so why do they get a year to pay for the damage in full, you ask?  AZ has "implied risk" laws.  If you own a car, you assume certain risks.  The trash company is required to carry liability insurance, but we assume the risk that they could run over our car when we put it on the road.  If we get out of this losing $38, then that's how it will be.  Life is too short to have to deal with drama over $38.  The best decision we made in this deal was to not let the trash company handle the repair.  We would have never got our MINI back.  We found out later that the trash company has a one million dollar deductible liability policy.  If they try to run us around the maypole over $38, imagine the mess over fifteen large.  They are essentially self-insured up to a million dollars.  We would have probably let them handle it if their safety manager had not made me mad.  Never fall for a deal like that.  ALWAYS let your insurance company handle it.  That is why you pay for insurance in the first place.  Especially if the accident was not your fault.  You have absolutely nothing to lose. 

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
Too bad about the trash co's feelings.  Glad you made out well.  I won't be posting here during the afternoon/evenings.  My work server identifies this site alone as "games" and blocks it.  Go figure.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2017, 08:53:16 PM »
Michigan has a no-fault insurance system.  You're required to have medical coverage for yourself and innocent bystanders, and you can decide whether you want collision coverage on your vehicle or not.  If not and you get hit, it was your gamble.  (You can sue for up to $500 in small claims to cover your deductible).  The idea was that suing over who was at fault just ate up a lot of money.  My initial reaction was outrage--"You mean if some SOB hits me,  I've gotta have insurance to pay for it?"  And the answer  was "Yes."  And you know, it makes a lot of sense and works quite well.  You don't have to get involved in unnecessary lawsuits over who did what. 

If the trash hauler is a publicly-traded company, go online and check their proxy materials.  They're required to show a "summary compensation table" showing how much the top officers get paid in all forms of compensation.  You may be surprised to see how much the CEO gets paid for cheating people like you out of $38. 

Chris Campbell