Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what this part is called?  (Read 774 times)

elizoria

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me what this part is called?
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
Well. I found out why my tuner knob wouldn't move.  :-\. Can anyone tell me what this part is called so I can search for one online?

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me what this part is called?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »
I would call it the tuning flywheel.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

elizoria

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
I would call it the tuning flywheel.

Thanks so much!  Do you know if common for them be made of lead? This thing is heavy and dirty. (Don't worry, I won't lick it LOL).

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »
The flywheel is designed to give some oomph to the dial pointer when you tune.  It's made of "pot metal," usually a zinc alloy.  Yours illustrates its worst characteristic:   unstable dimensions and behavior.  Wikipedia has a good entry on pot metal and its frailties.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

In even older radios, it was often used for bearings for variable tuning capacitors.  When it started distorting like your flywheel, it would bind up the shaft that the capacitor rotated on.  @#%&*!!!. 

Your best bet, if the flywheel is binding, is to see where it's distorted, and file or grind it down to clear the chassis.

Chris Campbell

elizoria

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »
Y'all's knowledge base is invaluable. Thank you so much!  I've been racking my brain thesaurus and the internet trying to figure out how to fix this, and you just helped me so much!! Thanks!!

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »
Is the dial cord broken?  Replacing the dial cord is an art in and of itself, admittedly one I have yet to master. Best of luck to you with that.  There is often a diagram of the dial cord system in the service literature.  Pay attention to the number of turns specified at each point or it won't work.  Dial string tuning systems are Rube Goldberg-like and a pain in the butt to repair.
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:07 PM »
Is the dial cord broken?  Replacing the dial cord is an art in and of itself, admittedly one I have yet to master. Best of luck to you with that.  There is often a diagram of the dial cord system in the service literature.  Pay attention to the number of turns specified at each point or it won't work.  Dial string tuning systems are Rube Goldberg-like and a pain in the butt to repair.

I replaced a dial cord on a little Zenith G615 radio (6G05 chassis) today.  It has two--one drives the tuning cap from the knob, and the other drives the dial pointer from the tuning cap.  Luckily, the easy one was broken--the one that goes from knob to cap.  A number of years ago I needed to replace a more complex one and did not have enough real dial string on hand.  I bought some braided fishing line.  That gave me several lifetimes' supply.  That's what I used on the little Zenith.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Good advice here. I have a roll of Sears "JC Higgins" braided fishing line for just this purpose. That is old and qualifies as a lifetime supply.  :D

A method for grinding that pot metal flywheel is placing it in the chuck of a drill, drill held in a vise, and use a flat bastard file on it.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:59 AM »
Cord diameter is another variable that should be matched as closely as possible to the original.
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.