Author Topic: "Kenton in Hi-Fi"  (Read 325 times)

electra225

• View Profile
"Kenton in Hi-Fi"
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »
Sounds just fine in stereo.  This scientific test was done on a Magnavox Stereo Symphony.  On a CD.   :)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

walyfd

• View Profile
Re: "Kenton in Hi-Fi"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:21:59 PM »
Like I said, the 2-track tape is incredible. 

I think what I admire most about early stereo is its total 2 - channel simplicity.  Consumer grade tapes dubbed from the studio masters that were actually made before the stereo lp.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:03:29 PM »
Until recently, I owned nary a note by Stan Kenton.  I appreciate the opportunity to become familiar with music I don't have.  I like late mono material, just before the dawn of stereo.  I am also a fan of early stereo, "hyper" stereo.  I believe we are on the same page there.

Most of my experience with hyper stereo would be in the country, "Nashville Sound" genre, however.

To eliminate possible confusion, allow me to modify my original statement.  "Stanton in Hi-Fi, in mono, played on a stereo."

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
Kenton's band was the original tower of power.  His was a much in demand band for live performances  It was one of the last of the big time big bands actively performing and earning.  Another performer that had an album with a comparable amount of powerful pieces is on a certain USB drive and is by Lionel Hampton, called Flying Home And Other Showstopping Favorites.  Midnight Sun on that album is great.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
I enjoy Stan Kenton.  I believe it is a fair statement to say I would never have had any of Kenton's material left to my own devices. 

Another band leader whose material I enjoy is Frank De Vol.  He is best known for playing theme songs for TV shows.  I only have one of his albums, though.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
A guy gave me a copy of the album in 1978 when I was stationed in Germany.  I couldn't appreciate it then.  It sort of grew on me. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke