Author Topic: Zenith x940 Recap question about C1 & C2  (Read 429 times)

B-Rad

• View Profile
Zenith x940 Recap question about C1 & C2
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »
I have a question about re-caping a solid state Zenith like my x940. I made a failed attempt previously to replace C1 and C2 and ran into a problem so I stopped and finished all of the other capacitors. This was my first venture into a re-cap so i will admit I got a little scared and since the unit worked I thought I would come back at it later. I downloaded the SAMS and made a list and ordered the capacitors (all but C1 (because i couldn't find one that large) and worked out a plan. I started and replaced them one at a time and started it up each time to make sure there were no issues (this was before I purchased a Variac or built a dim bulb tester). I got to C1 and C2 and I disconnected the lead to C2 A and put in my new capacitor and hooked it back up and turned it on and before I could blink the capacitor let all its innards out with fury and I was changing my drawers. I hooked the original C2 A back up and finished the others. I asked on a different forum and it was suggested to me that the ripple current might have been too much. Now for those that don't have the SAMS Set 893 Folder 9 in front of them C1 is a 1000uf 50v Zenith Part # 322-113 (22-3879) and C2 is a 3 part A-500uf 50v/B-500uf 50v/C-300uf 30v Zenith part # 22-5162. I was replacing part A of C2 with a 500uf 500v can and had B and C still hooked up to their respected leads and nothing to the A lead of the original C2. I checked the polarity multiple times and it was correct. So for those that have worked on these sets what do you suggest replacing C1 and C2 with and where do you source it from. Thanks for listening to my story and any advice so I can wrap this one up as we love listening to it and I know those caps need to be replaced for long term use.
- Brad

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Zenith x940 Recap question about C1 & C2
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
C1 and C2, if similar to my Zenith, have the can as positive. It should be marked on the can "can-pos" or some such.

The supply voltages to all the transistors is negative, just like a Magnavox.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

B-Rad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
C1 and C2, if similar to my Zenith, have the can as positive. It should be marked on the can "can-pos" or some such.

The supply voltages to all the transistors is negative, just like a Magnavox.

Wow that is incredibly helpful! As it was my first I was wary of it and stayed away. Now I feel st^p!d, I just looked back at the SAMS on this big monitor at work and blew it up and there is a very small + on the ground side of each cap. Thank you immensely for the tip, I can see how anyone could miss that! Any idea of a source for the 1000uf C1 that you would recommend? 
- Brad

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
It looks like Justradios.com carries a 1000uf 50v electrolytic.  Here is their price list.

http://www.justradios.com/orderform.html
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

B-Rad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »
It looks like Justradios.com carries a 1000uf 50v electrolytic.  Here is their price list.

http://www.justradios.com/orderform.html

Thank you!
- Brad