Author Topic: Admiral Wall unit  (Read 472 times)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Admiral Wall unit
« on: January 26, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
I've been working on this SS Admiral YG1571 unit. It was not working when I got it. The capacitors were visually swelled and leaking acid? I changed all the capacitors and now it powers up but I and am still having issue's. When I power it up on the tuner I get static but no reception. When I switch to the phono input it play's for one second and then fades out. Any help would be appreciated. Normally my wallet fixes fixes them when I get stuck but I would like try and fix this one myself.

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Admiral Wall unit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
I got this other Admiral on Friday. It looks to have the same chassis as the wall unit. Not a bad looking six foot lowboy. Should have some extra parts to try on it.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »
I wonder if the wall unit Admiral has transistor issues like a Silvertone I had of the same vintage. A recap barely made it better. It seems like Magnavox escaped this issues with their early solid state units. 

You may need to put the chassis on the bench and substitute AF signals, starting with the driver transistors and work backwards.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
Or maybe start with the easiest issue, the selector switch, which is often crudded up on older units.  My sophisticated test is to wiggle the knob to see if that has any effect.  Can't beat that one for cheap'n'easy. 

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »
Might there be some non polar electrolytics hiding out in out of the way crossovers?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »
Thanks for the ideas but I gave up on it a while back. I have moved on to different record player .

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:02:22 AM »
Pity.  PM me if you decide it needs a new home?  Being wall-hung, it evokes a nostalgic "Jetson's" feeling.
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.