Author Topic: Philco 51-1733  (Read 262 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Philco 51-1733
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:31:30 PM »
This is the 1951 Philco console that I snagged after it had spent a winter outdoors, buried under a snowbank, outside the building next door to my office.  Needless to say, the cabinet was toast (is that the right word for "completely delaminated"?). But it had shielded the innards, the chassis, speaker, and record changer, all of which survived without notable scars.  So this fall I replaced the filter caps (lost the can from the original, which  had cut off and carefully saved somewhere).  I fired it up a few weeks back.  A bit weak on FM, no good at all on AM. Then I realized that the big copper-clad loop that Philcos of that era had stapled to the back of the cabinet was the AM antenna, not the FM as I had assumed.  I retrieved it from the garage, soldered on the wire that had come adrift, and plugged it in.  Bingo!  Good AM reception.  FM is still less than stellar, but that's because I haven't soldered a dipole to the little two-pin plug that has a 2-foot wire connected to it now. 

This was a low-end model.  The power amp is a single 6V6 driving a 10" speaker with a small magnet.  But the AM and FM tuning capacitors both are 3-gang, so it ought to have a little extra oomph in the RF department.

And on the subject of the speaker.  The numbers I see that seem like EIA codes are "P 232 101"  232 is a Magnavox code, but this is a pretty wimpy speaker with ts tiny magnet structure.  Would Magnavox have been selling OEM speakers to Philco in 1951?  By the way, the date code number, 101, correlates to the console model number's year.

Chris Campbell

There are any comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?