Author Topic: New from Statesville NC  (Read 661 times)

Chelms221

• View Profile
Re: New from Statesville NC
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
How should I adjust to play new 180 gram records?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
You move that U-shaped (omega-shaped?) piece that the long coil spring attaches to.  Squeeze it with pliers.  You can select different places to re-secure it.  The numbers are just arbitrary marks, I think, so you can note where you start.  The more the long coil spring is stretched, the lighter the tonearm and stylus pressure.

You will need a stylus force gauge to set it.  There are several variables--the cartridge's requirements and the arm's bearing quality primarily.  Perhaps the console's instructions or service materials call out a target force.

Lighter is not necessarily better.  Too light and the record skips.  Worse, too light can let the stylus rattle around in the groove, banging things up on the disc.  Not good.  And it sounds bad.

The requirements aren't different for new LPs.  By 180 gram, I assume you're referring to the weight of the vinyl.  Late in the original run of LPs, vinyl material got expensive and the companies made very light records, floppy ones.  Now high-end LPs typically feel hefty, like the very old ones from the early days of LPs.

So for a stylus force, I'd consult the manufacturer's recommendations or if you have those, check with the V-M guy, who would know how those changers are typically set up.  Yours is made by V-M.

Chris Campbell

Chelms221

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »
I have switched to every setting and my player still skips on my nirvana, and Arctic monkeys, and my eagles. All in EXCELLENT condition but it doesn't skip on Jimi Hendrix Conway, Hank jr or my Frank Sinatra

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »
Sounds like you have a changer that does not like rock music!   ;)

May I loan you some nice Myron Floren polka records?  My Magnavox just LOVES those....... :)

Seriously, your problem may lie more in the records themselves.  Perhaps the rock records have had a harder life.

If the needle is in KNOWN good condition, and the tone arm pressure and anit-skating device (if any) are both correctly adjusted, then record condition is your next thing to look at.  Are the records clean and free from finger marks?

Something is wrong or it would not skip.   :)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
One possible issue is that if you're using an old cartridge, the rubber stylus suspension may have stiffened with age, reducing stylus compliance (its ability to trace the path of the groove).  That would be especially troublesome in loud portions with bass (loud = larger groove modulation).  When I was a kid, I was trying to play rock 45s on a little RCA 45 rpm player plugged into an older tabletop radio/phono.  Lots of records skipped.  I thought it was defective records.  It was actually defective equipment.  So if you're got an old cartridge, replace it.  If you have a new one, check the stylus force with a gauge.  If that's correct, check to see if you have some sort of mechanical restriction in the tone arm's movement--a signal wire that's too tight, or maybe bearings set up wrong or needed cleaning.

Chris Campbell

Chelms221

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
The records are in EXCELLENT condition no scrapes or scratches no finger prints, and I'm not sure about the needle it looks fairly old like I said in my intro I'm new to the scene and am learning as I go