Author Topic: Hearing live music in a cool place  (Read 200 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Hearing live music in a cool place
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »
Tonight I drove out to the Interlochen Center for the Arts, about 15 mi. SW of here.  It's a boarding high school for all the arts--last week I drove out to see short films by their film students.  Tonight it was a piano recital by 13 students, again all high school kids, but all far more talented than your standard H.S. musician. If you've had a kid and were forced to attend a piano recital, this was NOT the same thing.  These high school kids are approaching professional levels.

It's always a good idea to hear live performances of music, especially unamplified acoustic music, to serve as a measure of how faithful--fidelity--our recordings and equipment are reproducing sound.  The kids are from all over the world--Uzbekistan, China, S. Korea, UAE, and then Georgia (U.S.) and Saginaw, Michigan, within 20 miles from where I grew up. 

Here's what Interlochen says about its graduates:

43 Presidential Scholars, the nation's highest award for outstanding achievement in the arts by high school students, more than any other high school in the country
    Interlochen alumni typically account for 17 percent of the musicians in the nationís major orchestras
    11 MacArthur "Genius Grant" recipients
    124 Grammy Awards received by Interlochen alumni, not including the countless Interlochen alumni that have participated in Grammy Award recipient orchestras and ensembles
    26 Tony Awards received by Interlochen alumni

Pop performers include Norah Jones and (for us old people) Peter Yarrow of P,P, and M.  The place started as a summer "band camp" and expanded to a boarding school in about 1966. 

The performance was in their cool big auditorium, designed by one of Michigan's foremost 20th century architects, Alden Dow (his dad founded Dow Chemical). 

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Hearing live music in a cool place
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
LIVE MUSIC RULES!!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Hearing live music in a cool place
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
Live music does rule and if we cannot be there, we are trying to re-create the experience and reach audio nirvana.

When you look into where some famous musicians started out, many began their career by attending a school that focused on developing their talents. While having money (or sponsors-scholarships) always helps,

It seems like England and maybe Europe in general has such options. Just look up where musicians of bands like Blind Faith, Cream, Yes, Genesis, The Who, Led Zeppelin met and formed their respective super-groups, often in high schools. In the United States, with rare exceptions, talents are developed more in College, where band members met to form groups.

Many of us mechanical-electronics nuts suffered through most of our public school years as we were not talented at sports, science or music. We drew sketches in class and indulged or interests only after we got home. It was not until High School Vocational Technical School that I could develop electrical talent I had from an early age. Vo-tech was only half the school day as there are required courses for HS graduation that needed to make the balance of the day.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave