Author Topic: S600 Changer hard on vinyl?  (Read 535 times)

Dynamike

• View Profile
S600 Changer hard on vinyl?
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
Through the years, I've heard that these old console record players can excessively wear LP's compared to today's players.  How true is this, and is there a stylus (or other) upgrade options to fix excessive wear?

19and41

• View Profile
Re: S600 Changer hard on vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »
Two Important things you can do to help preserve your records is to insure you have a clean record and to change the stylus as often as prescribed by the manufacturer.  The dirt records attract makes an abrasive for the stylus.  A worn or dirt encrusted stylus deforms the groove structure over time.  I always keep a velour cleaning bar and an antistatic cleaner with the turntable.   
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
There are lots of variables.  Of course, you should never play a stereo record with a mono cartridge.  Part of the stereo information is in vertical stylus movement, and mono cartridges were not design to have any vertical motion.

Then there's the question of how hard it is to move that stylus--its compliance.  Better cartridges let the needle move more easily as a general rule. Crummy ones are more like dragging a straight pin down the groove.

And the question of stylus force, how much it weighs on the record.  And how good the bearings in the tone arm are and how massive it is.  And how worn the stylus is; a badly worn stylus becomes chisel-like and shears off the vinyl.

As a general rule, I play my very best recordings on my very best equipment.  I've got a bunch of late '50s or 1960s mono records that I don't mind playing on the 1956 Maggie Provincial Serenade.  If I had a really rare and expensive 1956 recording, I'd probably save it for the modern equipment.  I've got a mid-50s portable mono machine with a V-M changer, but a previous owner had installed a pretty good ceramic stereo cartridge in it, so I was more willing to play good records on it.

It's a judgment call, but one way to diminish bad effects is to use a good cartridge and good stylus.

Chris Campbell

Dynamike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
Two Important things you can do to help preserve your records is to insure you have a clean record and to change the stylus as often as prescribed by the manufacturer.  The dirt records attract makes an abrasive for the stylus.  A worn or dirt encrusted stylus deforms the groove structure over time.  I always keep a velour cleaning bar and an antistatic cleaner with the turntable.   

Yep, on my modern Numark turntable, I have my cleanest records cleaned at the record store on machine, use Gruv Glide, and regularly clean the stylus. 

There are lots of variables.  Of course, you should never play a stereo record with a mono cartridge.  Part of the stereo information is in vertical stylus movement, and mono cartridges were not design to have any vertical motion.

Then there's the question of how hard it is to move that stylus--its compliance.  Better cartridges let the needle move more easily as a general rule. Crummy ones are more like dragging a straight pin down the groove.

And the question of stylus force, how much it weighs on the record.  And how good the bearings in the tone arm are and how massive it is.  And how worn the stylus is; a badly worn stylus becomes chisel-like and shears off the vinyl.

As a general rule, I play my very best recordings on my very best equipment.  I've got a bunch of late '50s or 1960s mono records that I don't mind playing on the 1956 Maggie Provincial Serenade.  If I had a really rare and expensive 1956 recording, I'd probably save it for the modern equipment.  I've got a mid-50s portable mono machine with a V-M changer, but a previous owner had installed a pretty good ceramic stereo cartridge in it, so I was more willing to play good records on it.

It's a judgment call, but one way to diminish bad effects is to use a good cartridge and good stylus.

Chris Campbell

Guess the million dollar question here is, who are reputable dealers for a new cartridge and stylus?  The only one I've seen so far is the VOM site.  I pulled the cartridge out today, and I'll also need to replace the tone wires.  They were pretty coroded and brittle.  Any recommendations on the best stereo cartridge setup to get good results out of my S600 changer? 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
What'shizname at the V-M site--Gary Stork?--seems to have a good reputation.  He sold me a cartridge for my V-M Model 566, a great curbside find.

An option for some is to use a magnetic cartridge, a sturdy one that can tolerate a higher stylus pressure, and add a phono preamp to your unit.

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
Once the E-V 26 cartridge was no longer used, Magnavox set up the S600 record changer to track at 3 1/2 grams.  This record changer has a decent tonearm and a very low drag trip mechanism.  Used records that came from a household with a mid-1960s Magnavox console usually show very little wear.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
I play records on both the older Collaro changers and on more modern turntables.  I believe it is more important to enjoy my records than trying to preserve them.  All I do is use Windex and a terry cloth towel to clean records, keep my equipment in as good a shape as I can and let the chips fall where they may.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »
The S600 Collaro's are easy on records.  I have mine set to track at about 5 grams.  Easy to adjust the tracking.  The EV-26 cartridges that they have produce great fidelity.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »
Hate to tell ya this but that "modern" Numark TT is probably not any better or worse than an S600.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Dynamike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
Thanks for all the replys!  I'm ordering an EV 26 cartridge kit for VOM, and can't wait to get this thing running.