Author Topic: New to this forum...  (Read 262 times)

ampexaudio

• View Profile
New to this forum...
« on: February 13, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
Hello to everyone, my screen name is ampexaudio and that is what I'm interested in. I'm from the sticks of South Eastern Pennsylvania, 4 miles from any outpost of civilization. Can't even get fast food delivered.

Glad I found this forum 'cause I have a particular goal--to find an original Ampex console from around 1959 or so and restore it and install in it the Ampex gear I already own, or maybe buy something new that I'm unaware of from this long past manufacturer.

I looked through most of the topics here looking for Ampex but didn't find anything. Maybe I didn't search well enough.
So if there is a topic concerning Ampex home audio consoles I would really appreciate someone pointing me to it.

Attached is a pic of the Ampex receiver and power amps I have.

I am handy with a soldering iron and I know my way around audio and video circuitry.

If I can be of help to anyone looking for electronic solutions to audio problems, please ask and I'll try to help.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: New to this forum...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Welcome to the group.  Ampex seems to be more a West coast favorite than east coast. 

I'm from NEPA and pickings here are very slim.  I'm sure your chances are far better around your area than here.  My Fisher came from Albany but started life in Connecticut...

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »
Welcome to our forum.  There have been several Ampex consoles posted on the Sightings forum.  Click on Search at the top of this forum, then enter Ampex and they will come up.  I suspect the ads are out of date, but will give you an idea what's been out there for sale.
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »
I notice the old TV off to the left in your photo.  Some of us have similarly wide tastes in old electronics.

When I went off to college in the fall of 1965, a guy down the hall was proud of his new Ampex reel recorder, what I thought was one of their first "consumer grade" offerings, not just a commercial unit that folks with deep pockets bought.  I was equally proud of the Knight-Kit three-head deck I had just built, a massive thing.  It seems likely that the Ampex was more capable, but mine was bigger (!).

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
Welcome Aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!