Author Topic: Remote for Magnavox Concert Grand  (Read 727 times)

Kim G

• View Profile
Remote for Magnavox Concert Grand
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:53 PM »
New here and just brought home a Concert Grand without the remote.  I thought I would test the waters to see if any are available. Thanks,
Kim G

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
Re: Remote for Magnavox Concert Grand
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:32:17 PM »
Well, if you are prepared for some sticker shock......
They do show up on Ebay, and apparently actually sell at this price.
(Glad i got one with mine....wow)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-Concert-Grand-Wireless-Remote-Phantom-Remote-ULTRA-RARE-/282354474018?hash=item41bda35c22:g:-PUAAOSw6-hYm0dP

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »
There have  been 3 of them on the bay in the last month.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
A remote could cost you more than the Concert Grand cost.
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
The photo with the ad showed what looked like an AM radio loopstick antenna.  What was the frequency these things worked on, and could you make a substitute device for a lot less than $470?  There must be a schematic floating around.

Chris Campbell

Kim G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I saw that one on ebay yesterday, was surprised at the price.  Is that what they normally go for? If so, I can do a lot of walking to change stations, adjust the volume and to turn it on and off. That price is more than I paid for the CG.  I will just keep my eyes peeled and hope one comes along at a more reasonable price for me.  What did the last 3 go for?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
I have the remote for my Concert Grand's Phantom Control, but I'd wager that neither the remote nor the Phantom Control system will actually function as they did when they left the factory.  The batteries for the remote are spendy, and getting the Phantom Control to work sometimes takes an act of God.  There is a thread on this forum documenting the adventure of a member attempting to get his Phantom Control to work.  I'm not sure he ever got it to work correctly.  I would personally think twice before I spent that kind of money on a remote only to find I had a dead Phantom Control.  Good luck.

The only value a remote gives me is that I have a complete Concert Grand and bragging rights.  Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned it is a paper weight.   ;)

In the good old days, my guess is that service technicians used a signal generator to operate the Phantom Control.  Each function is on a different frequency, so it seems to me that if you had a signal genny that would reproduce those frequencies, you could at least test the Phantom Control and remote to see if they worked.  I've been wrong before.   :-[

The schematic for both the Phantom Control chassis and the remote are included in the schematic for the Concert Grand.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »
I didn't see a schematic for the remote device, but the specs said it's at 37kHz and modulated by a vibrating reed?  At any rate, if somebody just HAD to have an operating remote, it ought to be feasible to build one using modern components, with some sort of audio frequency oscillator in place of the "vibrating reed." 

But of course most of us won't suffer too much from the exercise required to stand up and make the adjustments manually.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
Well said, Chris.

I may have misspoken.  The schematic for the remote is in the "Concert Grand book", the official Magnavox service manual for the Concert Grand.  The Sam's schematic does not actually have the remote schematic.  Sorry for the confusion.   :-[

If you'd like a copy, I think I could probably scan mine and get you a copy.  Officially known as manual 6264.

Edit.....The manual 6264 is in the "Downloads" section of this forum at the top of the page.  Go to "Magnificent Magnavox" then to "Manuals and Schematics for Consoles" then scroll down until you get to it.  Hope this helps.

Kim G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:25:59 PM »
Well said, Chris.

I may have misspoken.  The schematic for the remote is in the "Concert Grand book", the official Magnavox service manual for the Concert Grand.  The Sam's schematic does not actually have the remote schematic.  Sorry for the confusion.   :-[

If you'd like a copy, I think I could probably scan mine and get you a copy.  Officially known as manual 6264.

Edit.....The manual 6264 is in the "Downloads" section of this forum at the top of the page.  Go to "Magnificent Magnavox" then to "Manuals and Schematics for Consoles" then scroll down until you get to it.  Hope this helps.

I had looked right at it and didn't see it.  There's a lesson.

It's a fairly simple device--an audio osc. and an RF osc.  I assume the audio osc. is what modulates the RF (what's this "vibrating reed" stuff?).  The only mystery part is the coil at the far right, which must be the big ferrite stick shown in the photos.  I would think that your local ham radio guy (an ld one, at any rate) would be able to figure out the inductance required for the specified output frequency.  The ferrite rod could be taken from an old portable radio.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »
I got to looking at my signal generator.  I believe one could kluge up a suitable transmitter using one and a length of wire for an antenna.  It would be a pain, but you could amaze your friends by firing up an old piece of obsolete test equipment and make your Concert Grand change radio stations.   :)

I tried to find the thread where the member was working on his Phantom Control.  IIRC, he changed transistors and other components.  Here I go depending on my foggy memory again....

I seem to remember he was having trouble getting the remote to work anywhere but up against the cabinet.  Having problem with range.  I don't remember much else, and thought I'd bookmarked the thread for reference if and when I ever dug into mine.  The bookmark may be on my computer at home.  I wish I could find the thread.  Very interesting discussion.  Unfortunately, the username of the member doing all that hard work escapes me just now. 

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
If the vibrating reed used was like the vibrasponder reeds used for tone discrimination in 2 way radio equipment, the reed is a miniature tuning fork that is cut to resonate at a specific frequency and has a crystal slab bonded to each tine.  Each slab has a lead and the fork is common ground. when a signal is applied to one slab/tine the reed will vibrate slightly, fully only when the resonant frequency is applied.  then you get a strong signal from the second (output) slab/tine.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke