Author Topic: Lionel Hampton And His All Star Jazz Inner Circle  (Read 278 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Lionel Hampton And His All Star Jazz Inner Circle
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »
This is a 2 CD set on the French Europe 1 label 710375/376.  It contains performances from a March 9th 1971 Salle Pleyel jazz concert.  It features performances by Illinois Jacquet on tenor sax and Milt Buckner on organ and piano.  It has many of Hamptons' better known titles such as Airmail special, Ghost Of A Chance, Avalon, Midnight Sun, Flying Home  and some other good pieces.  Hampton could always be counted upon to bring the maximum effort to his performances, and these are no exception.  I just got the album from England and wanted to share about it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Lionel Hampton And His All Star Jazz Inner Circle
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:21:41 PM »
I had a driveway moment a few weeks back when the Benny Goodman quartet was on the radio.  Hampton was playing beautifully. 

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
Here is an old one with Nat King Cole playing rhythm on one piano, Hampton playing the melody on the other with two fingers in the manner of a vibraphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3sAQltdWXI
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »

I had a driveway moment a few weeks back when the Benny Goodman quartet was on the radio.  Hampton was playing beautifully. 

Chris Campbell

I've always felt that the Goodman quartet's 1936 recording of Moonglow is one of the most beautiful records ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dm3Ml9g_cs

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »

Chris Campbell

I've always felt that the Goodman quartet's 1936 recording of Moonglow is one of the most beautiful records ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dm3Ml9g_cs

Thank you for posting that link.  I was just peeking at posts here before heading out to grab food.  My stomach is desperate.  I'm just back from an hour and a half of bicycling, on the road bike, in northern lower Michigan, in mid-February.  Those statements normally don't go together but this is a seriously weird winter.  Mid-50s yesterday, about 50 today, sunny, all the snow is gone.  So I didn't really want to sit and watch a YouTube video but I did.  And wow, isn't Hampton's solo enough to bring tears to your eyes?  It did for me.  Those are the things that make it a joy to be alive. 

Chris Campbell