Author Topic: Hello from New Jersey  (Read 510 times)

pdamiani488

• View Profile
Hello from New Jersey
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm the new owner of both a Magnavox console that I can't seem to find a model number for and an RCA 4VF349. The Magnavox has a Micromatic turntable and I found a tag that says it's from 1965. It's solid state. I got them both free from the Craigslist free section.
I've been reading a lot of the posts about both manufacturers. Interesting stuff.
The Magnavox works well, but has significant cabinet damage. I live in the Jersey shore area and I'm pretty sure this thing saw water during hurricane Sandy. The particle board underneath is water damaged. The RCA looks better and has some internal issues. The turntable in the RCA is the Studiomatic RP-218 and has the floating cartridge intact. It is missing the stylus however. 
So far I've replaced the cartridge on the Magnavox with something comparable to the Electro Voice that was in there. I've also lubed the turntable and cleaned the chassis. It's got a pretty decent sound. As for the RCA, I've ordered a stylus, cleaned the chassis, and started to lube the turntable. The tone arm doesn't seem to want to move. I saw this problem in another thread and it was resolved by lubricating the tone arm, but it hasn't worked for me.
Anyway, I'm excited to be here, and to learn all I can.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »
Remember that around here, the magic word is "photos."

Chris Campbell

pdamiani488

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
Oh yes of course. Silly me.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
Depending on how solid the solid wood still is, you MIGHT be able to put a new particle board bottom in the Magnavox cabinet.  The solid state Magnavox stereos are so plentiful you might be able to find another in better shape and use your electronics.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

pdamiani488

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
The wood is okay it's just the particle board. Luckily the components didn't get wet at all. I think I'm gonna try and refinish it. It's also missing the sliding door so I'll have to make one. I haven't seen too many that are little like this one. I'm gonna look again for the model number when I get home from work. It should be stamped in black ink on the chassis somewhere if I'm not mistaken.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Depending on how solid the solid wood still is, you MIGHT be able to put a new particle board bottom in the Magnavox cabinet.  The solid state Magnavox stereos are so plentiful you might be able to find another in better shape and use your electronics.  Good luck.

And if it's just damaged particle board, as long as its structural capacity hasn't been destroyed, you could just ignore that damage.  It's not visible except to people like us who always head to the back of the cabinet for a look-see.  Just worry about refinishing the visible exterior parts.  And even there, it's not likely that museum-quality restoration is a necessity for this device.  Just aim for making it look good.  Maybe some of that spray toned lacquer for the non-veneered parts.  Or some just-right wood stain there, if the finish has flaked from moisture.

Chris Campbell

pdamiani488

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:38:15 PM »
Yeah I'm not too concerned with it. I am more concerned however about the RCA console. The turntable is a mess. It's not spinning at the right speed and I think the cartridge has gone bad. Strong sound from one speaker when gently brushing the yolk and soft on the other but yet when you touch the pins in the back it'll hum from both left and right channels equally as loud. I'm kind of at a loss. I haven't been able to find a donor for replacement parts and the replacement cartridges I found don't have the mounting bracket installed. The bracket is attached to the cartridge with small rivets and I don't think I'll be able to reattach with screws. I do see two small holes through the cartridge that I might be able to put screws through but I'm not sure if it'll hold. Besides that the platter just doesn't want to spin correctly so even if the cartridge worked it wouldn't be any good. The waiting game on eBay begins I suppose.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 12:02:42 AM »
Turntables are the easy part:  they're mechanical.  Unless somebody takes a hammer to them, they can be fixed.  They need (1) cleaning and relubrication, and (2) often enough a new or revived idler wheel.  First do the lube job.  Then you can try reviving the idler wheel by holding it on a temporary axle (nail, screwdriver) and pressing it at a slight angle against a belt sander or disc sander. 

You're right about the cartridge--probably damaged.  Try switching the cables, right for left, to make sure the problem follows to the new channel. Usually you can improvise a replacement mounting system for cartridges if you can't fin an exact match.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
Particle board can become deformed if just in close proximity to water for a length of time.  It is fortunate if the speakers have been unaffected as they are half of the console as an instrument.  Good luck with your restoring each of the consoles.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum ;) That RCA is great and for free yet! I've worked on and traded a couple of those 15-watt Magnavox consoles.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave