Author Topic: Studiomatic Mess  (Read 425 times)

pdamiani488

• View Profile
Studiomatic Mess
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:00:13 PM »
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me with this.
I recently acquired an RCA 4VF349 with the Studiomatic turntable. The cartridge was intact but one channel is weak. Also the platter is not spinning correctly and sounds like it's rubbing. I'm afraid something bent inside. It only half way spins on the 78 speed and when you push on the spindle it goes almost full speed but rubs the platter against the metal casing.
I've been on eBay trying to find a donor for parts or even just to replace it. I did find a portable unit that has a turntable that looks identical but they want $70 and $50 shipping. The ad claims that it's in good condition but it slows to a stop at the end of a record. Probably needs to be lubed. Is this a good replacement for what I have and is it a good deal. Seems a bit high to me but then again I'm no expert.
 http://m.ebay.com/itm/1963-RCA-TOTAL-SOUND-PORTABLE-TUBE-RECORD-PLAYER-MODEL-4VC82-4-SPEAKER-STEREO-/351989109531?hash=item51f42f931b%3Ag%3AHTAAAOSw4CFYrckp&_trkparms=pageci%253A29b4f55d-fbe0-11e6-bd16-74dbd180c924%257Cparentrq%253A78c873e815a0a2af06bdabd1ffec7844%257Ciid%253A1

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Studiomatic Mess
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:18 AM »
As I indicated in the other section, I'd repair your current one.  Sounds like the pricey eBay one ha sits own deficiencies.  Try to fix yours, and if you get especially ham-handed or make some stupid blunder, then you can look farther afield.

Chris Campbell

pdamiani488

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
I switched the channels and the weak channel did indeed go to the other side so it's definitely a bad cartridge. I did take the whole thing apart and clean it and relubricare the whole thing. I got the tone arm to move but it didn't help the platter spin any better. I messed with the idler wheel but I think it's shot. I'm gonna try and find a new one and see if that helps.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »
Speeds can be perplexing.  My first "hi-fi" turntable was a V-M1200 series, the fancy model with a 4-pole motor and a plug-in head with a GE VR-II magnetic cartridge. It tended to rumble.  The motor bearings are probably worn.  Soon enough somebody gave me a Garrard RC-80 changer, also with a VR-II.  It was quieter but eventually I discovered that it ran fast.  It was reliably fast.  All I can figure out is that they had inadvertently installed a 50 Hz drive capstan instead of the 60 Hz one for the U.S. market.  And shortly after that, somebody gave me an RC-88 that ran on time.

Chris Campbell

pdamiani488

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
That makes sense. All very interesting. So today I tried messing with it again. I have the tone arm swinging freely now.  I think it needed a good soaking in the lubricant. The new stylus came today and it was as I said the one channel is weak. Nothing as far as parts on eBay today other than a NOS oval stabilizing arm. I ordered it anyway just to have extra. It was only $6. I'm going to mail in my old idler wheel and get one from Gary at VOM and see where that gets me. Also going to replace the motor mount grommets. They look worn and squished. Might have something to do with speeds if it's not pushing the spindle into the right position.

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
Hello,
Do you need the service diagram for the RCA Studiomatic?
I believe those are RP218 models, correct ?
If so, send me a PM.
HiFiFun

pdamiani488

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:23 PM »
I actually got the service documentation. It was really helpful. I was able to find a suitcase style phonograph with the same turntable in it. The turntable is shot the way it is but the cartridge is good and I think I can use parts from two bad ones and make a good one.