Author Topic: Al Martino  (Read 256 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Al Martino
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »
I am listening to a CD I made from a record by Al Martino.  This particular record is "My Cherie" from the 1964 (give or take) time period.  Al Martino was a crooner in the same vein as Perry Como, John Gary, Vic Damone and those guys.  He has a fairy rangy voice and the songs he sings are appropriate for his abilities.  He recorded a country album in 1963 that actually got traction on the country charts.  I would like to have seen Al Martino cut an album with Billy Vaughn on the Dot or Decca labels, rather than noisy old Capitol.  Al Martino may best be remembered as playing Johnny Fontaine on the "Godfather." 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
Re: Al Martino
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
I've never been able to appreciate those vocalists, although they are very good.  My mother would buy an album of each but seldom listen to them except for Tony Bennett.  Not even Sinatra.   There was a wealth of excellent talent during that time.  I am glad Martino worked out to be a decent actor.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »
Tony Bennett and Perry Como were singers, really, more than crooners.  Sinatra would have been a better example of a crooner than Como.  Andy Williams had his moments, too.  MY wife LOVES Al Martino.  And Billy Walker, for some strange reason.  Billy Walker was a guitar picker and backup singer for Marty Robbins who cut a few albums of his own.  Those two are a strange combination.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:41 AM »
My mom LOOOOOOOVED John Gary!  I'll bet there are still dozens of his albums at my folks house!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:33 PM »
My mom liked Slim Whitman.  Didn't take much of ol' Slim for me to get my fill.  The only John Gary album I have is mono, from 1964.  His material is okay.