Author Topic: Hello from NH  (Read 451 times)

MikeNinNH

• View Profile
Hello from NH
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
Hi all! I'm new to the hobby of restoring vintage audio. My first project is a Magnavox coffee-table record player console I got for a couple of dollars thrift store shopping. The model # is missing from the case (of course) but the amp chassis has 505-03-00 on it. I believe it's circa 1963-64 (but it says "Power Transistor" not Astrosonic on the Magnavox nameplate). So far I found that the Sams 683-9 has another Magnavox model with the A505-01-00 chassis, which from what I've seen seems to be the same (I haven't been able to locate an actual copy of 683-9 yet).  The amp has a nasty 60Mhz hum that you can even hear at the loudest volume, which makes me think I'll need to replace the capacitors, not an uncommon job (but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please share away.. Once I solve that, I'll work on part 2, getting the Micromatic turntable working properly (it's not running at the proper speed, likely because for starters it needs a good cleaning). It's not such a classic that I will feel bad if I totally foul it up, but I think with patience and some help from this board I'll get the old girl running. I've attached a couple of pictures.  Nice to meet you all!

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Hello from NH
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  This is the place for information you need.  I'm more of a tube guy myself, but there are others on here who can help you out.  Best of luck with your project.   :)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
Welcome Aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »
That looks like it will make a functional piece of furniture as well as an audio center.  It will probably do better with a replacement of the paper and electrolytic filter and crossover capacitors.  Good luck with your unit!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum 8) One of the very early solid state amps, using RCA transistors. That silver can cap is suspect number one.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

MikeNinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:12 PM »
Yeah, I agree. It's one they don't make anymore, but I can substitute a 1000uf and a 500uf capacitor for it - its a multisection cap with common positive. one of the EIRE brand caps nearby is also loose but I'll probably replace all three (they're 200uf 15V).  for now, I'll leave the others, and work through issues as they occur.

MikeNinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
Sooo... I got the amp working with new caps. Sounds great! but the turntable needed work. Orrrr.. I could come across a broken portable model with the same phono insert for a few bucks, like I did today! It has a broken amp (a tube amp - 8001-40) but the turntable works fine, so voila, the console is done. So now, I'm looking forward to repairing the portable.