Author Topic: Hello from NC!  (Read 278 times)

Colonyofmisfits

• View Profile
Hello from NC!
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
Hi there!

My husband I just recently purchased our first unit. A vintage 1962 (I believe) Magnavox stereophonic Model 1ST257k. Looking for any info we can find on it. The radio works, but the record player won't spin. Looks like we're missing a belt.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Hello from NC!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
These record changers don't have belts.  They use idler wheels, the rubber-covered devices in your photo.  Those are driven by the brass thing in the middle between them.  When the rubber gets old and hard, it slips and won't turn the turntable.  Sometimes just cleaning the idler wheels, or maybe scuffing the surface with a fine abrasive like sandpaper, will restore function.

Also, the motor bearings may need lubrication if it isn't turning freely.  The moving parts of the changer mechanism usually need to be cleaned of old grease, which hardens with age, and re-greased after that.  There are service data in the "downloads" section.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

Check to see if the motor is running at all.  I have seen them where the motor is frozen solid.  My experience with this has involved the upper bearing.  The motor will need to be taken apart, the bearings cleaned and lubed so it will run again. This in addition to what Chris just said above.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Colonyofmisfits

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
Thanks for the help! The motor runs and spins the idle wheels, but when the top is placed back on it will not move it. Going to look into replacing the idle wheels and cleaning everything real good.