Author Topic: Replacing Power Filter Capacitors  (Read 364 times)

MagMan

• View Profile
Replacing Power Filter Capacitors
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
I just completed a recap on a Magnavox R21404 00 chassis, and for the most part it sounded great. There was a slight hum in one of the channels so I decided to replace the power filter caps. I've replaced these before without any issues. After replacing the caps as depicted in the first picture, the hum was louder. So I decided to install a terminal, the hum persisted, but the transformer also started making a noise. I quickly turned it off. Any thoughts on what might be the problem will be most appreciated.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Power Filter Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
In your first picture, the capacitor negative going to the PS diodes looks right. All caps are positive to ground in this chassis.

In the second picture the black electrolytic appears to have its negative to ground though. That would explain your symptoms
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

MagMan

• View Profile
Re: Channel Balance Issue
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
Thank you Dave, I appreciate your response.

I have another issue now. The channels are way out of balance. I've replaced the 1000 mfd cap, both .01 ceramic caps and both diodes. Could I have done something in replacing these components that would cause this? Please see the attached picture.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kent