Author Topic: RCA Model A-108 restoration help???  (Read 1235 times)

VinylAddict

• View Profile
Re: RCA Model A-108 restoration help???
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
The 33 player was doing well until it until it got about midway through the side of the record. Seems as though the antiskate is screwy. The tonearm wants to pull in towards the center of the record.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
Does the platter drop down flush with the plinth? Does it sit up above the plinth so you can see most of the side of the platter?
No, the platter never is flush with the plinth.  The platter is usually 1/4 inch (maybe a little more) above the plinth.
--Larry

VinylAddict

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Where can I find the small belt for the 33/78? Would also love the rear grommet piece that holds the wires in the hole at the back. Mine is missing.
How about my question on the cart vs styli swap? Any thoughts on that? How do I tell if the cart itself is bad?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
Anything you need for that changer can be found here.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/
--Larry

VinylAddict

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
Anything you need for that changer can be found here.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

I can't find my model # listed in the belts section, I also don't see the my cart listed on that site either. It doesn't have a search function so I can look that way either.
Sorry if I'm being a pain in the rear haha.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
Send Gary Stork at VM an email and he'll tell you which belt to order.  I didn't know these had a belt, but I haven't done one in years so I have forgotten.
--Larry

VinylAddict

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:22 PM »
Send Gary Stork at VM an email and he'll tell you which belt to order.  I didn't know these had a belt, but I haven't done one in years so I have forgotten.

It's got a small belt for the 33/78 actuator.
I sent Gary an email and heard back from him earlier today. I'm still rather confused though. I asked him about which cart and belt I needed for a VM950.
He replied about a VM 930, is that the correct model I have?
How do I tell if I have a "GI" pulley?
I have no idea what he is saying about the cart either. HahI looked up the KCCA cart and it's a stereo cart that looks nothing like mine, but if he says it'll work, im all for it.
Larry, is there an anti-skate adjustment somewhere internally? The tonearm wants to skip across the the record toward the center continuously skipping a groove or 2 once it gets a track or so into a side of a record.

Here is Gary's reply.
"You may have a VM 930 series if this is an RCA branded unit.  There were several different models of motor drive systems used in this series.  If you have the GI pulley and belt type, the belt is 1414 on the Phono Belts page under the Pulley Belts header.  Idler should be 1432 on Phono Wheels and Turrets page. Cartridge you have to substitute.  If this is an RCA with a cartridge on 5/8 inch centers then best to get the KCCA kit and figure out how to mount it.

This cartridge can be replaced by the KCCA crystal cartridge replacement kit. Cartridge kit for half inch mount figure out how to mount it if replacing other styles.'

Here is a pic of my belt.( It's been cleaned up since this pic)

MikeNinNH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »
That is a gorgeous console! You're a lucky guy to get your hands on one.  Good luck on your restoration!

VinylAddict

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
Thank you so much. I'm excited to be around to dig into it and get it all up and running again.
I heard back from Gary again. I will be ordering a belt, cartridge and a couple shift linkage grommets.

I need to look into swapping out the caps next I think.
What about a good FM antenna that I can use? Is there a "go to" one that this forum prefers?

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 01:08:02 AM »
Maybe you do have a VM930 instead of a 950.  They look the same from the top of the changer.  If the idler comes off after just removing a clip (and it looks like it may....) it is a GI or General Industries motor.
--Larry

VinylAddict

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »
Yes Larry, it indeed comes off with just a clip. Thanks once again!

VinylAddict

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the anti-skate? There's got to be sort of internal adjustment. My tonearm wants to skip across to the inside grooves of any given record.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »
You have a bad needle...replace it.
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
These devices didn't have any anti-skate compensation.  That came along much later, with much lighter and better-bearinged arms.  In addition to the needle, check to make sure the wire leads to the arm aren't binding somehow--too short, hung up on something.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
Are you trying to play a new (relatively speaking) record on there?

Many of these older changers struggle with new Stereo records. Try an older Mono pressing and see if you have the same problem.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!