Author Topic: 1958 RCA Christmas Ad for Stereo Equipment  (Read 331 times)

bluetantra

• View Profile
1958 RCA Christmas Ad for Stereo Equipment
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »
I came across this listing for a paper advertisement, apparently from the Christmas season of 1958, while perusing the Etsy: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/240670300/1958-rca-victor-stereo-systems-print-ad?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stereo&ref=sr_gallery_30

I believe I may have a lead on a possible French Provincial Mark VI with the companion speaker, left-most unit in the second row of the ad.  Although, there is also a sexy, six foot long Mediterranean-style Packard Bell with the Cartesian-style tuning indicator that has my attention as well, for significantly less money.  The RCA will fit into the back of my Soul for a two-hour return trip better than the PB.

ed:  SP
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.

bluetantra

• View Profile
Re: 1958 RCA Christmas Ad for Stereo Equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:55 AM »
It's interesting that this ad from the fall of 1958 also promotes the companion speaker equipment as upgrades or add-ons to an RCA owner's existing units, with some modifications to be carried out by the friendly local RCA repairman.  1958 was, if you didn't already know, the year stereo was made available to John Q. Public.
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »
That was the good thing about having a diverse manufacturing lineup.  Get a person on board with a less expensive way to play stereo music, then still achieve revenue through the sales of recorded material.  When the person felt more flush, have the completion units to have a as manufactured stereo.  They even earned on the broadcast upgrades to allow multiplex audio.  Too bad this all relied on one savvy trail boss (David Sarnoff) to keep it all together.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »
Admittedly, I stole this image of another early RCA Stereo advertisement from another forum (thank you, ARF), but it is relevant to this thread.  It is purportedly from 1959, but shows some of the models from the earlier B&W ad in color.

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:44:55 AM »
And yes, I did confirm that what I think is a unit pictured in both ads is still available.  A further search of older ads resulted in an older listing for the stereo with photos and the same contact number.  Though the trip out of town this week is for my better half's neck surgery, I may come home with another stereo. 

If so, this will be my second two-piece unit, my first being a 1959 Magnavox Belvedere 1-SP275F with the companion speaker or "Channel" S-35.  The Magnavox has no tuner, as does the RCA Mark VII.  Magnavox also produced a model very similar to the RCA Mark VII in 1959.  It seems that they were very much in competition with each other at the time.  Here are the few photos I found of the RCA I'm going to look at:

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
I hope you get it and looking forward to the restore.
My only two-piece is a Philco G-1906 (stereo phono only) of the same year. I hope to do a post on it in a few months.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave