Author Topic: Jerry's in Pittsburgh  (Read 244 times)

JimmmyFLR

• View Profile
Jerry's in Pittsburgh
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
Once or twice a year, work takes me to Pittsburgh, and I find myself at Jerry's. 

If you've never been there, find the "Hoarders" TV episode that had him in it.  The guy can't seem to turn down a record from anyone, so every inch of his 2-storey building in Squirrel Hill is stuffed.  Yes, the main part is devoted to every genre of rock, blues, R&B, pop, reggae, folk and soundtracks.  And there is an entire (giant) room of just jazz records. But another whole section of the building is dedicated to 78s (and a host of antique gear and memorabilia). 

It's an amazing place - so needless to say, I'm listening to my latest grab from Jerry's.  It includes The Who's Hooligans, James Taylor and the Original Flying Machine, and Prince's Purple Rain record, among others.  Oh, and I also frequent a cool little store there called The Attic - definitely worth visiting as well.

So far, my 1972 Garrard is serving me well, as I work my way through the stacks.

Cheers!

JMF

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Jerry's in Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »
Looks like the kind of place it's best to visit by leaving the credit cards at home, and taking only as much cash as you intend to spend.

Chris Campbell

JimmmyFLR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
Looks like the kind of place it's best to visit by leaving the credit cards at home, and taking only as much cash as you intend to spend.

Chris Campbell
Funny you should say that; Jerry's is indeed CASH-ONLY!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
My nephew is at Carnegie Mellon in a grad program, and he lives in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood.  I sent a link to my sister, his mother, and she said she passes Jerry's all the time when she visits.   Neither one of them are much inclined toward record collecting, unfortunately.

Chris Campbell