Author Topic: Turntable spins wrong way  (Read 288 times)

ctb1010

• View Profile
Turntable spins wrong way
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
Hi all,  I have a Zenith console with a voice of music turntable. The platter stopped spinning and I have been trying to get it working again. I greased everything ordered new motor mounts from Gary and a new idler wheel spring and used rubber renue on the idler wheel. I put everything back together and now the turntable spins...the wrong way!  What could be causing this?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Turntable spins wrong way
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »
If you put the rotor in an induction motor upside-down will it go the wrong way?

Chris Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »
Haha.  I did that one time early on in my restorations. When you disassemble the motor and remove the rotor and bushings, if you turn the motor housing over and then reinstall the rotor and both bushings, it will rotate the wrong way (counterclockwise.)

Take the motor apart again, turn the motor housing over, then reinstall the rotor and bushings.  The wires that come out of the motor should come out the top of the motor housing when you put it back together.  I guarantee you that the wires on your motor are coming out of the bottom of the housing.
--Larry

bluetantra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 12:18:50 AM »
Next project:  Take. Digital Photographs. Before. And During. Disassembly.
Music:  the other non-addictive, mood altering non-substance.  Ask your doctor if Music is right for you! Common side effects include but are not limited to uncontrolled head-bobbing, toe-tapping, finger snapping, selective hearing impairment, and persistent melody flashbacks.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:45:18 PM »
Thank goodness for that cheap digital film!   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke