Author Topic: Ken Curtis  (Read 319 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Ken Curtis
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »
I had the honor of meeting this gentleman a number of years ago. 

I worked for a man who owned a Texaco station in Scottsdale AZ.  He mentioned one time that he knew Ken Curtis, and had sung with him during the time that Curtis sang for the Sons of The Pioneers.  I was amazed the Ken Curtis was ever a singer.  The boss had a barbecue for his employees and Ken Curtis and Ben Johnson were there.  Ken Curtis propped his leg up on a three-legged stool, accompanied only by his guitar, and sang this song.  Ken Curtis was exactly like he appeared on TV.  One of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWR6FLnPack
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Ken Curtis
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
Not many jobs where having a scruffy beard is an asset, unless you're a 20-something in hi-tech.  For the rest of us old guys, if we don't shave, we look like we forgot to shave....

Chris Campbell

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
I met Ken Curtis when I was a child. He was appearing at the Dixie National Rodeo in Jackson, Mississippi and my family and I would attend each year.

Good memories...

Regards,

Greg

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Hearing some of the characters he played (the one in The Searchers comes to mind) one wouldn't imagine he sang so well.  He also did so with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:47:44 PM »
I didn't connect him up with The Searchers until you mentioned it.  Grand film.  From RottenTomatoes:
"If John Ford is the greatest Western director, The Searchers is arguably his greatest film, at once a grand outdoor spectacle like such Ford classics as She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949) and Rio Grande (1950) and a film about one man's troubling moral codes, a big-screen adventure of the 1950s that anticipated the complex themes and characters that would dominate the 1970s."  I've only seen it on a video projection on a  big screen and on TV--would love to see a high-quality film or professional video version.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:09 PM »
I certainly would not have guessed that Ken Curtis sang with the Dorsey outfit.  I personally believe that Mr. Curtis' voice became more mellow with greater range as he aged.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:32 PM »
One more connection with the movies mentioned: Curtis was John Fords' son in law.   :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »
I didn't know that.