Author Topic: Repair Work Today  (Read 207 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Repair Work Today
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
Last week when the truck's odometer indicated it was time to change (and fill) the tank. I went through the routine of switching to the rear tank and having the gauge go to full and carefully keeping an eye on the gauge because it starts to drop relatively quickly because the back tank fills the front because the check valves in the front are not working.  Anyway, I had to stop somewhere on the way to work and lost track.  I switched back just before getting to work.  The rear tank is 19 gal. and the front 16.  I overfilled the front and it filled the filler hose that surprise! Has a small leak that then decanted about a 1/2 gal of gas dripping on the newly sealed parking lot at work.  I had to leave early so it could leak on my concrete driveway. Well, I ordered a new filler hose and it came yesterday.  I got the fuel delivery module I have been dreading putting in and got my trusty hand fuel pump and started on the front tank today.  It took an hour and a half to pump the gas in that tank part to the rear tank and part to gas cans.  I dropped the tank and installed the new fuel delivery module (low pressure fuel pump and gauge sender and diverter check valves).  The old one had one of Ford's good old brass floats with a nice fracture where the clip held it so that it was a little gas tank instead of a float.  Manhandled the tank back up into place and found I hadn't put the retention clips on the pressure fittings on the tank, so I had to try to stretch and reach across the driveline and muffler to try to feel them into place  Went to get gas afterwards and it was great having two separate full indications and a normal switchover of tanks and it will be nice to use the gauge instead of the ODO to check the fuel.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Repair Work Today
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
You are lots braver than I would have been.  Good job!   ;D
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »
Thanks.  I'm glad it's done.
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
I carry an extra five-gallon can of gas in my old 454 Chevy when I go across Texas.  Why anyone would order a Camper Special truck with a 454 and only one 20-gallon tank is beyond me.  If you are fighting a wind, that will barely get you 200 miles.  Mine is a '73.  My understanding is that dual tanks were part of the Camper Special package if you got a 454 in 1974.   ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »
I guess they earned their keep during the embargo!
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
Now I get all this squared away with the truck, i start getting a funny noise coming from under my car.  It sounds just like a radio aerial mounted under and parallel to the underside of the car, when I hit the slightest bump, it taps and "rings" just like an aerial getting bounced against the floor.  I can't find it.  This will cost.
Arthur C. Clarke

MEZLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »
I carry an extra five-gallon can of gas in my old 454 Chevy when I go across Texas.  Why anyone would order a Camper Special truck with a 454 and only one 20-gallon tank is beyond me.  If you are fighting a wind, that will barely get you 200 miles.  Mine is a '73.  My understanding is that dual tanks were part of the Camper Special package if you got a 454 in 1974.   ;)

I have a 1976 F250 with many camper options, one of which is dual tanks for a total of 42.5 gallons.   It sure needs both of those tanks!