Author Topic: Newb with new(old) console.  (Read 201 times)

glendayle

• View Profile
Newb with new(old) console.
« on: April 03, 2017, 01:15:10 AM »
Hey guys,
I was referred here by someone on AntiqueRadios.  Picked this up about a month ago.  Would love some help identifying it. Also needs some repair so if anyone can help guide me on that it would be much appreciated as well.  Record player is a Collaro W751. It had some problems, but I took it apart and cleaned off all of the old grease and lubed it up again and it works great.  Only issue now is if I go several days without playing it, it sort of takes a minute to get up to speed.  Not sure about why that happens.  In general it sounds real nice.  The left speaker/channel is much quieter than the right and doesn't sound as "full".  Looking for advice on where to go on that.  The schematic isn't complete so would love it if I can find one and if I could find any manuals or sales brochures for this guy or any of the components.
Thanks in advance.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Newb with new(old) console.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
My suggestion on why it takes time to get up to speed would be to replace the drive tire that makes the platter rotate.  The rubber on the drive tire gets hard and slick over time.  This causes the motor shaft or the platter to slip on the wheel, causing the speed to be erratic.  You can send yours in to VM Audio Enthusiasts and have it rebuilt.  Something like $28 plus shipping.  Replacing the motor mounts is a good idea as well.  You can get them when you get your drive tire rebuilt.

The problem you are having with speaker balance could be caused by several issues.  A dirty volume control, a dirty function switch, some type of hiccup in the solid state components.  The tube instruments have a balance control hidden in the bass or treble control shaft that can be adjusted for balance.  I am not familiar with solid state instruments, so perhaps somebody else will chime in to help you there.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
As to the turntable speed, as I read your post, it's only slow after sitting several days.  That suggests that maybe you just need to lube the motor bearings, top and bottom.  Use a good light oil.  It may take a little while to work its way into the bearing proper unless you disassemble the motor and add just a tiny bit to the shaft.  Just don't get any stray oil or oily fingerprints on the idler wheel or turntable rim.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:45:53 AM »
Welcome!

You are getting good advice from above on the changer and I have no suggestions on the balance problem so enjoy the forum and keep us posted on your progress. 

Bill