Author Topic: Webster-Chicago 56-5  (Read 327 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Webster-Chicago 56-5
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
My turntable for the Hepplewhite arrived yesterday, thankfully on a dry day.  Does anyone know of any source for parts for these?  It is missing it's on/off button/knob.  I suspect it's pickup might be out of service.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
Re: Webster-Chicago 56-5
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:51:04 PM »
Gee, I would've thought it was still too early in spring for this deafening roar of the crickets.   ;)
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
Well, I did go so far as to do an online search to see what the changer looked like.  Apparently it's a 78-only device?  I was curious because I couldn't remember what the model no. was for the "mystery device" W-C changer in my ca. 1951 console.  Mine must have been just before the Collaro changeover, because I don't see it in others' photos.

I have a couple small mechanical parts in my misc. hardware box but I think they're from a 3-speed model, and nothing that would help you.

Chris Campbell
Returning you to silence

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »
I was just joking about the crickets.  I think I may have solved the part problem.  I found a site called Organdonor.com and they had another period W-C changer parted out.  It used 2 buttons, one being a larger one which also, like mine is coaxial to the auto/manual selector switch. I also got 3 isolation springs.  Now I will need to find something to act as pickup and stylus.  Otherwise it is a pretty good looking unit.  That will be it's principal mission.  Most of my music is on a Compaq laptop that I run in through the FM converter input.
Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
I'm going to post the photo of my ca. 1951 W-C device here again.  It has a tall chrome speed selector (can't see the height in the photo, but it's about 1") with a  reject button in the very middle.  There's a little size selector lever you can see-7"/10".  It does not have one of those record support/pusher devices like older ones (note the over-record stabilizer positioned above the pickup arm in the photo).

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Never have seen a stabilizer like that one.  I would guess mine is from 1948 to 50. 
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
Thought I would try placing the turntable in the drawer mount on the console.  Apparently the drawer mount has been extensively reworked with welding equipment to accommodate another brand of turntable.  It looks like I will have to find another mount.   
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
I now have another mount that is from a Windsor.  It has a wider base than the one in the Hepplewhite.  To make it work, I will have to cut off the lower skirt on each side and graft the wall portions of the current shelf on the new.
Arthur C. Clarke