Author Topic: Complete Maggie Imperial Model 1ST664 Rebuild  (Read 494 times)

racfan9

• View Profile
Complete Maggie Imperial Model 1ST664 Rebuild
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
Good Morning All,

I picked up a Imperial Model 1st664 a week or so ago in very sad, and I do mean sad shape. It had been in a barn for probably 20 years or more with a roof that let more water in than it kept out. Anyway it will be a major undertaking to get the cabinet presentable. See Pics.
First things first though. I need to get the Amp and tuner working correctly. The amp is the 8103-10 and I have powered it up via a variac and did get some music out of it even though I only had 5 of the 6 6v6GT tubes. I'm posting some pics of the underside of the amp along with the schematic because the amp has been modified to some extent. I am by no means a pro at reworking this stuff so I'm hoping some of you Magnavox Guru's might be able to explain what these mods accomplished. Hopefully you'll be able to see where the wires were cut, there's a total of 5 terminals that have had the wires cut. The first amp photo has 3 terminals with the wires cut, it also shows 2 yellow wires that have been added that runs from the pilot light plug to a terminal strip. The second amp photo shows 2 wires, pins 5 and 11 on the molex plug cut off, and 1 wire cut on the third photo. If you guys need more pics let me know.

Thanks,
racfan9

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Complete Maggie Imperial Model 1ST664 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
Congrats, I think!   Why would anyone put an Imperial, or any thing like it, in a barn with a leaky roof?  At least cover it up! You have a lot of work ahead of you...........GOOD LUCK!   :o

Bill

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
Is that the one out of Springfield, MO?  Great buy!  At least it's complete.  In time, I think you will be able to make it sing again and present very well.  I looks like the hardest part with cabinet restoration will be the front of the legs that got shaved off.  At least that's what it looks like to me.  Excellent find.
Paul

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
I'm not an expert on that amp, so I can't tell from the photos exactly what was altered.  But you have the schematic, so you can trace what used to be and what it.  You can see where wires were cut, and from the schematic you can trace where they were supposed to go.  Do the replacements just replace, or is there some re-engineering?

Your amplifier is a bi-amplified device--two 6V6s with their own transformer per channel for lower-frequency output, and one 6V6 with its own transformer per channel for the high-frequency output.  Maybe one of the little output transformers burned out, and somebody just routed everything through the low-frequency amp?  Maybe other can spot the changes right away.  If not, start tracing!  If this really is new to you, not that the tube diagrams on the schematic call  out the pin numbers.

Looks like those legs weren't shaved off--more likely, a glued-on section came unglued from moisture damage.  One option would be to simply remove the damaged legs and replace them with something tasteful.  My couch was given by my mother to an old friend of hers, an artist with very definite visual ideas. It's a wood-framed thing with cushions on it.  The wooden legs were too ornate for her taste, so she had her husband cut them off and turn some tasteful ones on his lathe.  Eventually she tired of the couch and gave it to me.  And now I have the lathe, and drill press, and radial arm saw, and some other tools from her husband.  I think about him every time I use them.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
That's a great Imperial and it can look nice if you have the skills to refinish it!

I sold one like it last year that was in excellent condition, I'll drop a few pictures in here to give you an idea.

As far as your amp goes you are going to have to go through it with the schematic and trace things out to see what was changed.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
I can't tell for sure, but the top does not look warped, which is a good thing.  I would use GoJo and 0000 steel wool on the cabinet to get it clean and see what you have.  The legs might be repairable by someone with a good wood lathe and a pattern.  The amplifier can be fixed by going wire to wire and putting things back like they are supposed to be.  Those hardwood cabinets will take a beating.  I wish you only the best with your project.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Hey Guys, Thanks for the input. And yes Amglow this is the one out of Springfield Mo.  First question for you all, is there a way to edit the pics that I've already posted. These came out way to large which to me makes it almost impossible tell what your looking for. I am going post a couple more pics, one of the schematic which I've circled an area in red. As I said earlier I'm not very experienced in this field, and I'm curious as to what the Y and Z represents. Second pic is of the underside of a stock amp.

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
Electra225, Actually the two top pieces are off. This thing had set in a damp climate for so long that the glue had released. The top piece on the left side has about a third of the veneer coming up so I'll have to address that sometime down the road. Of course that is all dependent on me getting the tuner and amp working correctly. I do know I'm going to have to find a speaker selected switch and one of the 15" woofers has a small hole in the cone and the surround but that might be repairable. By the way, why did Magnavox use 2 different drivers in the Imperials?

racfan9

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 12:00:44 AM »
My first reply disappeared.  Look at your full schematic and the red-circled excerpt.  The outer X and Y are the 6.3 winding of the power transformer for the tube heaters--the filaments that heat the cathodes.  In the middle you'll see the connector for the pilot light ("on" light) that runs off the same transformer tap.  And you'll also see two resistors, R90 and R91, with an arrow saying "to cathodes of  V__" [bass output tubes].  On the full schematic, between the upper pair of bass output tubes, there's another arrow labelled "to junction of R90 and R91."  That arrow goes to the cathodes of those tubes.  And the red-circled part agrees--its arrow says "to the cathodes." Yup.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 08:23:53 AM »
Glad to see a top end console saved.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
If the top is coming apart, that's not good.  I believe at this point, unfortunately, I'd be considering my options.  You can't save them all.  You have parts in case you would find a cabinet that a guitar amp guys had gotten to.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »
electra225, I removed the two top sections myself, thought it would be easier to work with when the time came. I also have access to plenty of Cherry wood if I want to make new ones.

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 09:20:54 PM »
Ok I got a few more questions. I'm starting to think that the amp has had the power transformer replaced, reason being is all the tabs on the terminal strip next to the transformer has wire nubs on them from wires previously cut and has new wires next to them that are the same colors coming out of the transformer. There are still a few wires soldered in places that are not on the stock schematic. One issue is that when the amp is plugged in with the tuner hooked up to it the pilot light comes on even before the tuner is tuned on. And once the tuner is powered on I'm not getting any power to dial lamps. Any ideas? Another question is what series of tuners will work with this particular Imperial?

Thanks, racfan9

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
Oops! Tuner chassis 64-03-00 is the tuner in my Imperial.

racfan9

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
Good Morning All,

Was wondering if anyone out there has the tuner chassis 64-03-00, and if so could you post some pics of the underside of the chassis. The one in my Imperial has numerous wires that have been cut for some reason.

Thanks,
racfan9