Author Topic: My New RCA Console Project  (Read 391 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
My New RCA Console Project
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:54:30 PM »
Today I acquired this project, a 1962 RCA Victor three channel stereo in a walnut danish modern cabinet, model VCR-244. I had been watching it for three to four years in a neighboring town flea market, I liked the styling of the cabinet, and knew it would be quite a project to restore. I went by that flea market today and it was still there, and it still had an $80 price sticker on it. There was no way I was going to give that much, given the grill cloth is trashed, so I told the flea market owner that I'd give $40 for it. He called the booth vendor, and he accepted the offer, so here it is... lots of work ahead, but I think it will be a really nice small stereo once it's all done. I haven't done any cleaning on it yet except for the wood cabinet. The components inside are pretty dirty, but they should clean up nicely. It has a back cover, which I removed to vacuum out the inside of the cabinet. There were 8 or 9 huge dirt dobbers' nests inside.
--Larry

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Re: My New RCA Console Project
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »
Nice modern cabinet with the tuner. You can't go wrong with that one.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
Larry - I have the same console in the same condition and paid about the same price, which I could not resist. Its about the most compact and potentially desirable console you can get, if looking for Scandinavian.

I am pretty sure the FM has no mpx adapter though.
When I finally get to it, I need to redo the grill cloth and I saw some guitar amp cloth at Tubes'n'more that looked acceptable for it. I'd like to see how yours turns out.

If the terminals on the speakers are loose from bad rivets, like many RCA's, I used a dab of JB weld on them.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »
Well, there's much bad news.  I opened it up and it must have had 12 huge dirt daubers' nests in it, and they ruined all the speakers.  All the components were so bad rusty and grimy and awful, that I just decided to dump all the components in the trash.  I kept the tubes and a good 45 adapter.  I'll sell the 45 adapter for $25 to one of my customers one of these days and recoup most of the $40 this thing cost.

Lesson learned:  Don't buy anything in poor condition, with horrible grill cloth.  If it hasn't been stored inside a house, don't buy it... even for parts.
--Larry

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 02:09:30 PM »
That's sad. It looked OK on the outside, but those damned bugs must be murder on stuff there.

If you can salvage knobs, transformers etc. That would fetch something at a swap meet. It can bring some $$$ to anyone that needs parts on the rare occasion something goes missing on an otherwise clean unit.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave