Author Topic: Our $3 computer  (Read 183 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Our $3 computer
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:24:22 PM »
My wife bought this computer at an auction last summer.  It is an HP, originally with a Vista operating system, now updated to Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.  It has over 800 GB of available space.  It came with a 27" HP high definition (1080) monitor (probably not original to the system) an HP printer and a box of miscellaneous computer junk all for the princely sum of $3.  The auctioneer could not get a bid and the wife figured she could annoy me by asking me to get this thing up and running.  I'm impressed.  The old gal done good.  This thing works at least as well as the big one in my laboratory.  I need to download a decent antivirus program and some games.   ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

19and41

• View Profile
Re: Our $3 computer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
A price like that makes it great right off the top!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:09 PM »
"Cheap" sometimes is a double-edged sword.

Our new $3 computer needs to go to the computer guru to have its brains examined.  Apparently the previous owner had a "hard restore" done so all her information would be gone.  The process did something that Trend Micro does not like, something that has to be reset.  I was fully expecting a trip in to the guru before it was all said and done, so no harm done at this point.  Apparently, the games that come pre-installed on new computers are all still there.  They have been de-activated.  Those may be able to be reactivated and work again.

MEZLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »
If is was wiped clean and Windows 7 installed new, the drivers are most likely missing for proper operation. You should be able togo the the HP website and get all necessary drivers. Vista and Windows 7 use the same drivers.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »
My local computer guru just fired the computer up, did some fiddling, downloaded Trend Micro and we were set to go.  It took all of about 5 minutes for him, but would have taken eternity for me.  My wife is happy with it, and that is a good thing.  Now I have a total of $28 dollars in it.  The guru charged me $25 for bothering him with such a minor problem.  Something was turned off that needed to be running.   ;)

MEZLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »
I've collected a few computers that were pitched because Vista was installed on them.  Windows 7 is an easy upgrade and makes a darn nice computer.   Glad you got it working!   :D