Author Topic: New, improved cabinet back  (Read 459 times)

electra225

• View Profile
New, improved cabinet back
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
My project for the summer is to design and build a new cabinet back for my Concert Grand.  It has long been my contention that Magnavox instrument cabinets, with the possible exception of the Symphony series, are poorly ventilated.  I am therefore going make an "improved" version for my instrument and see if I like that better.  A side benefit to my new back will be to make the tubes easier to see.  The CG, the Imperial and my "maybe" Stereo Theater will all benefit from my new back if I get the job done properly.  If there is any interest in this project, I will be happy to document with pictures and share as I go along.  If not, then I will enjoy the project on the sly.

Simply, I plan on using lauan and some wire mesh I have to make the back.  The original back is photofinished Masonite, so the lauan will be wood-grained like the original.  I will integrate the FM antenna like original and even reproduce the model number sticker, if I can do it or have it done.  Mine is quite yellowed, so it will take some work to make an acceptable replacement.  The rest should be a matter of measuring and a little ingenuity.  I will finish both sides, but the side that shows will be smoother finished than the side that goes toward the cabinet.

If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
Re: New, improved cabinet back
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
Hi Greg, and welcome home!

Sounds like you are already busy with yard work and stuff.  And the MAYBE on the Home Theater....does that mean you are close to getting one? 

I saw the Imperial yesterday but have not brought it home yet.  Cabinet is very nice, but not sure if it works yet.  I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get it home. It's Michigan!!!!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
No closer to a Home Theater.   :(  I'll find one.  Half the world is looking for one for me.

Just put the old "mud and snows" on the Imperial, put it in four-wheel drive and get 'er done.   ;D

I shall wait with baited breath for the arrival of your Imperial.  If it does not work, I'd bet there is not much wrong with it.   ;)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
Never thought of putting mud and snows on the Imperial.  If the weather does not straighten out I might just have too.  When you have time we should but our heads together, yousr more than mine, and figure out the mystery machine.

Have fun,
Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
I look forward to helping any way I can. 

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
Just like they made em back in the 30's.  Should work just fine.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Billsmith60

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
Yes I would like to follow your back panel mod, with lots of pics, thanks

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey Electra225, I definitely would be interested since mine is missing the back. But I have a lot to do to mine,"(electrical and woodwork)" before the back panel becomes an issue. Good luck with yours.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
The good news is I will have a cardboard pattern and the original if you need a pattern or measurement.  And, of course, my replacement.  We should be able to come up with something that will work for you. 

You can call me Greg.  Electra 225 is the model of my Buick and my username on here.  Nice to meet you!   :D

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »
The good news is I will have a cardboard pattern and the original if you need a pattern or measurement.  And, of course, my replacement.  We should be able to come up with something that will work for you. 

You can call me Greg.  Electra 225 is the model of my Buick and my username on here.  Nice to meet you!   :D

I recall a local newspaper article about name changes.  The reporter interviewed the local probate judge, who handles name changes in Michigan.  The judge was amused by various choices.  He said that there was one guy who liked his car, so he changed his name to "G.T. Mustang."  I understood completely.  I had just bought my sturdy red '86 Mustang GT.  But unfortunately, the name was already taken.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »
I like Electra just fine.  It is nice if we know each other's names.  I don't get touchy either way.  You can call me whatever you'd like.   As long as you don't call me late for supper....... ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
I like Electra just fine.  It is nice if we know each other's names.  I don't get touchy either way.  You can call me whatever you'd like.   As long as you don't call me late for supper....... ;)

That's why I always "sign"  mine with the full name.  It makes me responsible for what I'm saying.  The anonymous comments on the internet are usually the ones that are vicious or cruel or nasty.  I'm on  statewide listserv at work and we're required by the list rules to post name AND address. 

This old-hifi group is polite and considerate.  I'll bet we've got political and religious opinions that run a wide range from left to right and maybe up and down too, but we manage to control ourselves so we can talk about cool consoles, making them work, and a few ancillary things like records and cars.  It's a good model.  If I only had friends who agreed with me politically, I'd be a pretty lonely guy.

Besides, I bet everybody thinks I'm the bass player from the Silver Bullet Band.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »
I like knowing names as well, it just makes everything more friendly.  I also like knowing where everyone is from, at least the state they live in.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
For the last two or three days, Bill, I have been living in a state of disarray!   ;)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
I think I know that disarray person!

Bill