Author Topic: New, improved cabinet back  (Read 1179 times)

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: New, improved cabinet back
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
I agree with y'all about knowing each other's names and what area we are from. I chose my moniker several years ago when I was leery of disclosing anything personal on the first forum I ever joined. I realized on this forum there are some really decent folks who are always willing to provide assistance and share good information so I started signing off with my real name. BTW, my moniker, "Deutschgerg" is from my German heritage (Deutsch means German) and "gerg" my name spelled backwards.

Regards,

Greg

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
The cabinet back project is progressing.  Slowly.  The golf cart died and that project got blown all out of proportion.  That is a story for another thread.

I have the pattern made and have that drawn out on the lauan.  That's as far as I have gotten.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 07:03:05 PM »
Today I had to start this project all over again, from scratch.  Long story why.  I'm actually happier with the result this time and it was tons easier to do, it seemed like.  I made some changes than I believed would enhance the "optics" of the project.  I am done with the pattern and have taken pictures.  When I transfer the pattern to wood, I'll document that and share those pictures if there is interest. 

Let me assure you all that there were no factory Concert Grand parts, great or small, harmed or changed in any way for this project.  I am going to retain the original back in case I want to sell the instrument.  I have a dry storage closet in the garage I can keep it in without fear of damage.

The first picture is the original back panel laying on a chunk of cardboard.  Poster board would actually be better, but an old screen door container was free.  It worked okay.  I am not going to use the pattern as a pattern that I draw around, but as a template.  I will actually measure and mark the lauan, then compare to the pattern before I cut.  Probably a weird way to do it (make a pattern and not use it, per se) but that is the way I was taught.

The second picture shows how I marked the outline of the holes in the original back.  Subsequent pictures show the process of "squaring up" the holes so I can cut the panel out, preliminarily. to see how it fit and what I wanted to modify.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
A couple tidbits.  You may notice in one of the pictures, I cut the pattern extra large.  I cut around my pattern with tin snips.  Then I cut the actual pattern to size with a single-edge razor blade.  The wife obsconded with my Exacto knife.   ;)

The following pictures show the first cut of the pattern actually fitted to the cabinet.  I have the opening cut out in the exact location of the original "holes."  You can see how restricted air flow would be when you see the output tubes nearly covered.  The later pictures show how that will change. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
In the top picture of the ones I just posted, there is an irregular cutout around the Multiplex adapter.  This is a change I made from my first pattern.  The third picture shows how I used the piece I cut out of that hole to make my patch.  I cut the patch and stuck it to the pattern with clear shipping tape.  This change will make that area look neater and makes the MPX adapter look better.  I had not had the back off my CG for two years.  It is still in pretty good shape.  I am going to have to polish the bottom for the Multiplex adapter and clear coat it this time.  It turned dingy.  There is a cover on the Phantom Control chassis that is in the bottom of one of the pictures.  It will require polishing and clear coating as well for the same reasons.  The rest looks pretty good still.  Light dusting and detailing should suffice.  I am not going to make any effort to make the Magnavox wiring mess look neat.  They did not want it neat from the factory, or they would have made it that way.  I have a dirty control, AGAIN, so this would be a good time to pull the tuner and give it a good cleaning.  I have a set of "close" wires for the Multiplex adapter which will eliminate part of the rat's nest in that area.

Notice as the project progressed, how I canned the idea of rounded/beveled/some kind of fancy corners.  Square corners proved to be the neatest in appearance and will be easier to get straight and even.  I was trying to get too fancy, perhaps a mistake I made on the first go-round.  This will be a cabinet BACK.  It won't be seen that much, and when it is, people will be looking at all those sparkly tubes!   ;)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »
Looks great and gives me some ideas. My Motorolas have bigger round holes but that is not much better, but way bigger than my 1960 Symphony, which has openings in the bottom to compensate for those tiny holes.

Will you be putting window screen over the openings, attempting to keep the dust out? I have seen that done on organs, with the dozens of tubes showing quite well through it.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
I will use wire mesh over the holes.  That will be in Part Three of this little project.  Next step is to transfer to wood.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
I like your project.  Heat is the great enemy of our old electronics devices.  The manufacturers had to make compromises for safety, aesthetics, and design.  We can give more weight to durability.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »
My main objective is to improve ventilation.  My second objective is to make the improved back look as good as the original, which is photo-finish wood-grained tempered 1/4" Masonite.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
Looking good Gregg. 

Might I suggest that building the final product out of Masonite will be more durable than a Luan door skin. Of course you can't do photo finish like the original but you could do a Faux painted finish that would work just as well. My S-31 extension speaker has just such a finish on the back.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »
I thought about using tempered Masonite, but decided on lauan.  I made a couple smaller backs for table radios with scrap lauan and liked how they turned out.  Lauan is easier to work with, to machine, than Masonite with the tools I have available to me.  Plus, there is no place close to me here in Bugtussle that has nice tempered Masonite.  Additionally, on the bottom of my new back, it will only be about an inch and a half wide.  Tempered Masonite will be pretty flimsy cut that far out.  Lauan will be stronger, coupled with the mesh I am planning to use.  I am not 100% certain that the mesh I'm using is the best I can get, just the best I've found.  I reserve the right to change it later if I find some I like better.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 06:53:15 AM »
Great job Greg! 

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 07:10:55 AM »
Looking good!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »
First, allow me to pat myself on the back.  The pattern I made for this project proved to be spot-on.  Dead perfect.  I never have drawn a perfect pattern in my life, didn't really think it was possible.  As I said before, I did not use this pattern to draw around, but to refer to by measuring it and transferring those measurements to the lauan.  There was a member who said he did not have a back at all for his Concert Grand.  If I could get my pattern to him, he would be in business.

I did another thing when I transferred to lauan.  Initially questioning the accuracy of my pattern, (and typically getting the holes in the wrong spot) I laid the original back on the sheet of lauan, lined up a corner and a side and drew around the back.  I bored the holes using the original back as a pattern.  After I cut the back out of the lauan, I trial fit the new back to the cabinet.  It fit like a glove, every hole.  That has NEVER happened before for me. 

I own a cheap little Black and Decker jig saw.  My friend has high-end woodworking tools.  He loaned me a Freud jug saw.  My goodness, what a difference.  Although I did not (did not expect to) get a perfect cut on my holes, I got a good enough cut that I could simply "sand 'er straight" like my Uncle Fort taught me years ago.  I sanded the edges and filed the corners to get everything finally square.  I allowed a eighth of an inch or so for sanding so as to not mess up my measurements. 

I sanded both sides of the back with 320 grit.  Then I stained the back without sealer.  I decided sealer would be best, so I sealed the front with a wash coat of unwaxed shellac.  Then stain.  After this dries well, I will put on at least three coats of shellac on both sides.  The back side will stay like this.  The front side will get sanded and perhaps more shellac.  I want to use black grain filler, but sparingly.  I used American Walnut stain, which is pretty close to what I wanted. After I get the shellac on, I will use grain filler on the edges, then darker Walnut stain to hide the end grain.  If this is not what I want, I can always paint the edges with black paint.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Sounds like your extra care has paid off!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke