Author Topic: New, improved cabinet back  (Read 3063 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: New, improved cabinet back
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »
I have also learned that there is a difference between "contractor grade" lauan and "trim grade" lauan.  The last I got, apparently, was trim grade as there sure is a difference.  Contractor grade is all Menard's stocks.  Contractor grade is harder to refinish and work with.   
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
I have the new back done and on the cabinet.  I made a couple mistakes that I had to correct.  First, I used staples marked "1/4 inch", but turned out to be 5/16".  They poked thru.  I had to take a day and fix that.  Then I noticed that I did not stain an edge of the back, so that had to be fixed.  Otherwise, I'm happy with it.  If I make another one, I'll make the cutouts around the amps about an inch narrower, so the mesh does not touch the cabinet.  I'm not sure what that would hurt, if anything, but I would feel better.  The mesh I used was unpainted, so I used a can of barbecue grill paint I had on hand.  That actually looks pretty good.  I used a shellac finish, since I could not find any lacquer and I really did not want to have to rub poly out to kill the shine.  I used clear coat on the cover for the MPX and the cover on the Phantom Control chassis.  I still have a wonky MPX adapter for some reason.  It works okay for about 15 minutes, then loses volume.  I tested the tubes and all the connections.  My next step will be to substitute the tubes and leave the back off until I'm sure everything is okay.  There is not much to one, so the problem should be a simple one.  Probably something I'm overlooking.  I was anxious to get the back on.  I hope to make another back for my Imperial this winter. 

I have pictures if anybody is interested.  I need to download them from my camera to the computer.

My wife has informed me of her fear that the new back may cause heat to burn the paint off the wall now.   ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Post the pictures,  I'd like to see them.  Glad you got it finished.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
We have played the Concert Grand at least a day with the new back on it.  It will run for eight hours and the bottom of the MPX is barely warm.  Previously, one could fry eggs on it after about three hours.  The amplifier power transformers barely get warm now.  They previously ran pretty hot, too hot to touch.  There is still some heat in the changer compartment, but nothing like there was.  My wife contends that the bass response is better than it was.  I think she is "hearing things."

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
Congrats on the new back and that it is a success.  It's always a good feeling when a project is complete and that it works the way one had hoped.  Which by the way does not always happen for me.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
The problem with the Multiplex adapter turned out to be a bad connection on the input cable from the MPX to the tuner.  While I was in there, I exchanged the MPX in there currently with a 7003-00 "short cable" version that I sourced courtesy of a member on another forum.  It is still the two-tube version.  I have some pictures for reference that I will post below.  That system is now working like it should.  I have the back on and all the screws in it.  That means something will break, necessitating my removing all those blasted screws again! 

And, finally, my able assistant, Bentley.  He is the one with the white hair.   ;)

While I'm thinking of it, is it possible for some enterprising member to reproduce the model number/serial number stickers with the correct font?  All mine are turning brown and yukky and I'm not computer savvy enough to reproduce them.  I'll bet I'm not the only member on here who would appreciate a nice, new sticker for his Magnavox cabinet.  I'm not a photographer, either.  So forgive my poor photography on a couple of those pictures.  I could not get the light right........