Author Topic: More LPs  (Read 268 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
More LPs
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »
My work takes me into neighboring counties and there's a Goodwill store on my route home from one.  I stopped in today to check out the LPs and CDs.  Today's haul included three Command LPs recorded on 35 mm film.  All three were engineered by Robert Fine.  He's the guy who made the classic Mercury Living Presence/Living Stereo orchestral recordings in the late '50s and '60s.  Of the new LPs, one is Enoch Light's prchestra playing Irving Berlin tunes in a Carnegie Hall concert; one is Light playing movie themes, and the third is the last performance on the Paramount Theater organ in New York.  I've haven't listened yet--FM radio program on right now; will check 'em out later.  Also bought several other movie music LPs.  I have a weakness for movie music.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: More LPs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
Replying to myself.  I'm playing the theater organ LP right now, a disc of Lerner & Loewe show tunes.  It's a really good recording--wide range, low distortion, and if I sit in the "sweet spot," it sounds like I'm there.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
Talking to myself again.  Late last night I played the last two discs--the Irving Berlin tunes and the movie music.  The recordings are really quite extraordinary for the early '60s--quiet, wide range.  They are also quite "hi-fi," meaning that you can hear the various instruments or groups with individual microphones and recording tracks, mixed down into stereo.  You don't get the same ambience as when you set up a few mics and capture the air of the venue.  I'm not sure it's really a problem with this kind of pop music.  We don't listen to this stuff in concert settings anyway.  A symphony orchestra, yes. An acoustic combo, yes.  A pop-jazz  group, not so much.  The stereo effects add some interest.  But the individual instruments are recorded with quite surprising accuracy on these discs.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »
Hey Chris,

That Paramount recording is right up my alley and one I would love to hear.   There is nothing I love more than a Theater Pipe Organ and the NY Paramount is the Granddaddy of them all.  It was the Wurlitzer that all the big Fox Theater Organs were modeled after.  4 manuals and 36 ranks of hi pressure joy......at least to my ears.  The Fox Theater in Detroit still has its Wurlitzer as well as the Fox in St. Louis.  Those two theaters are twins and so are the organs.  I will never forget sitting in the balcony of the Detroit Fox, its seating capacity is 5000 so you can imagine the size of the balcony, and feeling the entire balcony shake.  I about wet my pants.  What incredible power!  May I ask who the artist was?  And do you enjoy Theater Organ music? 

Enjoy the recordings Chris,

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »
I'v heard that monster from the Paramount!!!

For 35+ years it lived in the Bay Theatre... an old fashioned single screen movie house in Seal Beach, Ca.

They used to do organ concerts twice a year and boy wre they something to hear!!

Sadly the organ was removed, and the theatre is awaiting a revival by a new owner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Theater

http://www.ocregister.com/2016/05/07/seal-beachs-bay-theatre-has-a-buyer-with-a-vision/
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:57 PM »
When the movie "That's Entertainment" was new and showing on screens, I went to the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor, were I was in school, and saw it.  It's really impressive--all those old movie musicals, including the Dancing in the Rain scene.  But then the movie ended; the credits ran... and then the organist started playing.  It was this huge sound, enveloping everybody.  Wow, what an impressive experience.  It's a Barton.  Now the City of Ann Arbor owns the theater.  They have very frequent organ performances.
http://www.michtheater.org/organ-schedule/

The other organ I've heard is another Barton, as I recall, at the Temple Theater in Saginaw, MI.  And I just peeked--it's a Barton Butterfield Special.
http://templetheatre.com/about/

A local mechanical music museum has a Wurlitzer from Detroit's Cinderella theater.
http://musichouse.org/museum-history/

Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 09:06:40 PM »
Ken,
I'm guessing the organ Chris has the recording of is the main auditorium Wurlitzer which is a 4-36. It's now in the Century II convention center.  I also understand it's for sale if anyone is interested.  The one you heard at the Bay Theater came from the radio station that was contained in the NY Paramount building.  That was a 4-21 Wurlitzer. I also had the opportunity many years ago to hear the Bay organ. Many of the super large theaters had more than one theater organ.  The Fox Theaters had main auditorium organs and lobby organs that played off roll player units.

Chris,
The Barton in the Michigan Theater Ann Arbor is a huge sound and Barton's have always been one of my favorites.  The Michigan Theater in Lansing also had a Butterfield Special, as did many theaters in Michigan.   That organ is now located in the Grand Ledge Opera house and has concerts 4 times a year.  The last one for this season is April 30 at 3pm. 

The organ in the Music House in TC I helped rebuild before it was installed.  GM Buck Pipe Organ Company of Grand Rapids did the installation.  The rebuild was done with volunteer labor to help cut expenses and was done at the GM Buck Company. I have both played and listened to concerts at the Music House.  Very nice organ.  If you have not been there you should go sometime.  They show silent films often and a couple of personal friends take turns accompanying the films.  Worth the visit.

Who was the artist on your NY Paramount record?  Ashley Miller maybe?

Thanks for letting me rattle on!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:27:52 PM »
Yeah, the Paramount recording was Ashley Miller.  I also picked up a couple Dick Leibert LPs.  One on the Byrd Theater organ, one at Radio City.  Haven't listened to the latter yet.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »
Thanks Chris! 

Enjoy your Theater Pipe Organ listening!

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »
I love theater organ music.  Even smaller organs have good sound.  That's some music I will have to seek out more of.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
19and41

There are a lot of theater pipe organ music/recordings out there both records and CD's.  I find records at antique shops and thrift stores.  Also check up You-tube.  Just type in Theater Organ and see what pops up.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
Yeah, there are a lot of those LPs out there.  All of my theater organ recordings, save one, are second-hand items.  The one exception is a recording of the Alabama Theater organ (Wurlitzer) in Birmingham.  It's called "Singin' in the Bathtub" and I recommend it. I must have heard a cut on the radio and decided to buy one for my mother, who grew up in B'ham and went to that theater.  And then I bought another for myself.

This recording features more current tunes and in a more recent style than some of the older recordings.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
I have a recording of that organ but not the one you have.  I guess I should put that on my shopping list.  I love that big red console!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
I listened to it again last night.  It's my favorite theater organ recording because of the tunes and quality of performance.

And by the way, the Music House organ outside of TC here is used for an original purpose--to accompany silent films.

Chris Campbell