Author Topic: New in Arizona!  (Read 887 times)

Countryford

• View Profile
New in Arizona!
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
I just joined. I live in Phoenix Arizona. 33 years old and have over 30 consoles.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: New in Arizona!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
Wow, you must own a pole barn too!  Send us a list of what you've got, and maybe some photos too.  It's always fun to see others' devices and how they manage the collections.  Meanwhile, I'll just sit here and be quietly jealous of anybody with room for 30.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »
Welcome!  Thirty..................that's 30, right?  Wow!!  That's like you got one for your birthday since you turned 4.  ::)  I think we are all proud and jealous at the same time!  I'm really jealous since I just left Phoenix after spending a couple of months there and I didn't get to see your collection.   Have you rebuilt them? Do they all play?  Like Chris said please send pictures and the brands you have, we will be waiting.  ;D

Again Welcome!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Welcome aboard.  I only have six consoles and my wife believes that's enough.    ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
We have an RV garage. It is 20' by 50'. I then ran a loft about 3' deep along the one side and have quite a few of them displayed along there. I started collecting radios when I was 12 and that included consoles. It then went into tv sets and has now also included vacuums and appliances. The consoles range from just radios/phonographs, just tv sets, to the radios/phonographs/tv all in one.

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »
More of them

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »
More still

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
These are the ones in the garage only. I do have more in the house and have added some since these photos were taken. I also had several in a storage unit that aren't in these pictures.

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »
Here is my 1959 Magnavox that I use regularly. As you can see the TV still works. I have a dvd player hooked up to it.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
Wow!

That's quite an impressive display!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
I see the dog enjoys TV, and that's some collection of records.  How many of your units work?  I know someone that will be jealous of your home theater.  He has been looking for one for a long time but a different cabinet so I thing you are safe that he won't visit in the dark of the night.   :D

Keep us posted and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
Ah, the appliances!  I spied an early 1950s Frigidaire washer.  I had one just like it--the first washer my parents owned.  It got demoted to cottage duty, then retired when the spin bearing started screeching.  I was going to salvage the motor, but when I stated taking it apart I discovered the beautiful machined gear transmission and the pressure lubrication system.  I bought parts and repaired it.  Eventually it gave out and I was tired of fixing it, so I donated it to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.  They took it even though it was a GM product!  We gave them the instruction book, the original down payment check my mother wrote in 1951, and a letter from the salesman, Mr. Konkle, who had sold it to her.

And then I see a "Lady Kenmore" combo washer-dryer.  I had a 1965 model that was given to me in 1978 and served as a dryer until early this year.  Not a bad run for a home appliance.  I couldn't get the Henry Ford to take this one.  The appliance store where I bought the new dryer shows old appliances in their shop window, so I'm hoping this one gets preserved.  The owner likes the old devices. I had the original user manual, installation manuals, sales-pitch manual, and a card summarizing the instructions and gave them all to the store with the old machine.  Wish I'd known you were a collector!

Chris Campbell

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
I see the dog enjoys TV, and that's some collection of records.  How many of your units work?  I know someone that will be jealous of your home theater.  He has been looking for one for a long time but a different cabinet so I thing you are safe that he won't visit in the dark of the night.   :D

Keep us posted and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Bill

Oh yes. My puppy dog enjoys watching TV with me. I'd say about 10 to 15 of my consoles work.

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »
Ah, the appliances!  I spied an early 1950s Frigidaire washer.  I had one just like it--the first washer my parents owned.  It got demoted to cottage duty, then retired when the spin bearing started screeching.  I was going to salvage the motor, but when I stated taking it apart I discovered the beautiful machined gear transmission and the pressure lubrication system.  I bought parts and repaired it.  Eventually it gave out and I was tired of fixing it, so I donated it to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.  They took it even though it was a GM product!  We gave them the instruction book, the original down payment check my mother wrote in 1951, and a letter from the salesman, Mr. Konkle, who had sold it to her.

And then I see a "Lady Kenmore" combo washer-dryer.  I had a 1965 model that was given to me in 1978 and served as a dryer until early this year.  Not a bad run for a home appliance.  I couldn't get the Henry Ford to take this one.  The appliance store where I bought the new dryer shows old appliances in their shop window, so I'm hoping this one gets preserved.  The owner likes the old devices. I had the original user manual, installation manuals, sales-pitch manual, and a card summarizing the instructions and gave them all to the store with the old machine.  Wish I'd known you were a collector!

Chris Campbell

Sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable with the old appliances. Especially about the Lady K combo. Actually two of them are Lady K combos. Here are what each one is. From left to right.

1948 Kenmore (Bolt down)
1948 Bendix (Bolt down)
1927 Maytag Wringer (Gas engine)
1954 Kenmore Dryer
1957 Lady Kenmore Dryer (Pink)
1958 Frigidaire Dryer (Pink)
1954 Frigidaire Dryer
1954 Frigidaire Washer
1964 Maytag Washer (Turquoise)
1964 Maytag Dryer (Turquoise)
1963 Lady Kenmore Dryer (Turquoise)
1963 Lady Kenmore Washer (Turquoise)
1965 Lady Kenmore Combo (Washer and Dryer)
1959 Lady Kenmore Combo (Washer and Dryer)
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher (Coppertone Brown)
1958 Tappan Oven/Stove

For the TV sets and consoles on the loft. I'm not sure of the exact years.
Douglas TV
Guild TV
Packard Bell TV
Stromberg Carlson TV
General Electric TV, Radio and Phonograph
Zenith TV, Radio and Phonograph
RCA TV
Zenith TV
General Electric TV
Philco TV
Emerson TV (Projection)
Zenith TV (Color)
RCA TV (Color)
Admiral TV (Color)
Silvertone Radio/Phonograph/Wire Recorder (Around the Corner)
Farnsworth Radio/Phonograph (Around the Corner)
Airline Radio/Phonograph
RCA TV (Color Next to the Tappan Stove)
RCA TV (Behind the couch on the lower level)

Inside the house I have the following
1959 Magnavox TV/Radio/Phonograph
Magnavox TV/Radio/Phonograph/8 Track (Color stand-up unit. Over 7' tall)
1927 Atwater Kent Radio
1927 Oriole Radio
1933 Atwater Kent Radio
Packard Bell TV/Radio/Phonograph
J.C. Penny Penncrest TV/Radio/Phonograph
Westinghouse Radio/Phonograph
Grundig Radio/Phonograph
Guild Grafolona Radio/Phonograph
Guild Radio/Phonograph (looks like an old dry sink, can't recall the name)
Seeburg Radio/Phonograph (Jukebox holds 50 LPs.)
1956 AMi Jukebox (Holds 100 45s)

In Storage I have
Curtis Mathes Radio/Phonograph
RCA TV/Radio/Phonograph (Color. TV was replaced with a mid 80's Zenith TV)
Magnavox TV (Color)
RCA TV (Color)
Philco TV
Admiral TV (Bakelite upright cabinet)
RCA TV (Color)
Packard Bell TV (Color)
Airline TV (Color)

I think I identified everything. I could have missed one or two. Those are at least the big consoles and appliances.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
I'm impressed!  I wish I could get that organized.  Mine are piled on top of each other.  I spend winters in AZ and would sure like to see your collection in person. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....