Author Topic: Fisher President Find  (Read 260 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Fisher President Find
« on: April 14, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Hi all,
A few years ago I reached a point where I no longer needed any new consoles for myself. I had made up my mind to focus on what I had awaiting restoration. The one caveat to my decision was if I happened to find something incredibly rare or better than what I already had. I stuck to this well, despite finding Concert Grand's, Bell & Howells, etc... I passed them all along.

Then a month ago my friend Tracy called and told me to look at a picture of a console he had found on Facebook. It was very obviously a Fisher President (perhaps the rarest and most sought after stereo console ever). Someone had noticed it in a catalog from an auction house located near Philadelphia and posted the picture asking what it was. Remarkably, no one paid much attention to that initial Facebook post.

I contacted the auction house and learned I could bid on their "Walnut Credenza" online through a website called Live Auctioneers. I setup an account and debated how high I was willing to go for a few days leading up to the auction, I hoped it wouldn't be too high... Shipping was never an option I considered for this unit, If I were fortunate enough to win it a road trip would in order. As fate would have it we have some dear friends in the area to visit which would make the trip all the more enjoyable for my wife.

Well, auction day arrived and it began at 10:00 a.m. My console was item #565 and didn't come on the block until 6:30 p.m. The auction house had a pre-sale estimate of $200-$300 on the item. Before the auction even began I had placed a bid of $1400 on the item. Turns out someone else also wanted the unit and had placed a pre-bid of $1500. When the auction went live my bidding app immediately told me I had been outbid and asked me if I wanted to bid again. Bid increments at this level were $100, so I bid the additional $100 and ended up winning the auction for $1600. That's a real deal, but remember auction house fees and PA state tax had to be paid as well. Let's not even think about the cost of a 4 day multi-state road trip. As they say though, you've got to pay to play and I take owning the most sought after (or one of) console in the world very seriously.

So at the auction house a week ago picking this thing up the proprieter came over to tell me of a remarkable coincidence. The console had been consigned to them by a well known local dealer of Mid Century furniture, Brian Patrick Lawlor. They could not believe that another Patrick Lawlor was driving halfway across America to become the next owner. I must say that my wife and I were both taken aback by the serendipitous situation.

Once the console was loaded up we made our way into downtown Philadelphia for Philly Cheesesteaks at "Pat's King of Steaks". A very satisfying and appropriate treat to complete that portion of the journey.
Pat
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:47:43 PM by Pat L »

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher President Find
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
great story....

I must say for everything you have done for me, I'm so happy you were able to purchase this rare piece of history.

I don't want to go getting all emotional  :'( but without your help, assistance, and guidance we would not be here right now.

And when I say everything, think about this website.... I remember when we were in the planning stages of launching this.

I will say you deserved the Fisher..... (even if the dude had the same name) if that wasn't weird enough.

Think about this, we found (2) Bell and Howell's - (3) Concert Grand's - and (1) Fisher President in about one calendar year...... ;D

Thanks and enjoy
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
Congrats on buying a very fine console.  You did pay a lot of money for it but I bet if a lot of collectors had known about it the price would have went higher so overall I'd say you did well.  Who knows when another one would come available.

Let's see, Patrick Lawlor bought a Fisher President from Patrick Lawlor and then stopped at "Pat's King of Steaks" to celebrate.  I'd say you deserve a pat on the back Pat.   ;)

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
Considering the components in this, I'd say it was the deal of the century.  Each one of those amps would easily fetch $800.

It's like paying 50k for a car or 100k to replace all the parts and assemble it yourself. 

I feel having the total package is priceless, cabinet and all.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
She's a beauty, and well worth all the effort to transport it yourself.

oh yeah... This deal was like buying a Picaso for $5  :o
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »
What a great console tale.  You might want to research on just who this other Patrick Lawlor was..........

--Larry

Deutschgerg

• Lexington, Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
Pat,

What a great story, thanks for sharing. I am elated that you got the Fisher President. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it on YouTube. Serendipity is a cool thing...

Danrclem, your comment was hilarious!

Regards,

Greg