Author Topic: Vroom, vroom  (Read 242 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Vroom, vroom
« on: April 14, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »
Today I had half a day off, and the sun was shining, and the temp was in the 60s... time to get the Mustang out!  So first I rolled out the Magnavox Provincial Serenade, which lives behind the Mustang, and the 1955 Evinrude Fastwin 15, and the old Dutch bicycle. 

Last year, the battery was a bit fatigued and the system voltage dropped so low on starting that the radio lost all its presets.  It's a Pioneer aftermarket device with all sorts of bad habits.  Like, when it loses presets it goes into "demo mode."  Worse, when it's in "demo mode," it's always on, even when the ignition is off (what brilliant engineer thought of that trick?) so it runs the battery down when you're not looking.  You have to go through the complex process of getting out of "demo mode." 

This year I climbed in, turned the key to the first detent so the electric fuel pump would run and build pressure.  Whirrr...stop.  Then I clicked it one more over into the start position.  The starter stumbled for half a second, cranked the engine, it fired and ran on all cylinders (no missing).  That's a first after sitting all winter.  Better still, the radio didn't opt for the stupid "demo mode" so all was well.  Then I pulled out of the garage and turned down the alley.  The clutch chattered a bit as it always does after sitting all winter (moisture?  Maybe a bit of rust?).  Off we went for an 18-mile loop just to get things stirred up.

Then back into the garage, followed by the Magnavox, the outboard, and the bike.  Rain tonight.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Vroom, vroom
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
It is always nice when something starts and runs after its winter nap.  I have two more things to get going.  My old Chevy truck and the tractor.  Did you ever get your Chevy to go?
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
It is always nice when something starts and runs after its winter nap.  I have two more things to get going.  My old Chevy truck and the tractor.  Did you ever get your Chevy to go?

The Chevy will be a spring and summer project.  I tend to be a stubborn SOB but have decided that I require another set of eyes (and knowledge).  I've been asking around about local Chevy fans.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »
That clutch chatter is likely from the moisture in the air combined with clutch dust inside the bell housing. 

Friction material+moisture acts just like glue.

When I was working at the VW shop in my early automotive career it was not uncommon for a lowly bug to be brought in to the shop on a flatbed after a rainstorm with the rear brakes completely frozen up.  The drums were literally glued to the shoes by the brake dust. and the poor little beetle couldn't generate enough torque to break itself loose!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
Ahhhh, spring is in the air.  It felt more like summer here today. 

Not too many things better than getting an old car out for the first time after the new year.  Gotta put insurance back on my Cougar and take it out.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »
Right before the blizzard a few weeks ago, I got the shovels out of the garage.  The '57 looked fine.  2 weeks ago, I went back in the garage and the front passenger tire was totally flat.  I did get it running last weekend but haven't had it on the road.  Still have to reinstall the radio which I'm not looking forward to.

Took the '91 to a club meeting on Tuesday.  Of course, it started to rain on the way back so it's time for a good bath.  Never a dull moment.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »
Ahhhh, spring is in the air.  It felt more like summer here today. 

Not too many things better than getting an old car out for the first time after the new year.  Gotta put insurance back on my Cougar and take it out.

A few years ago I switched to Hagerty Insurance, which specializes in classic cars and boats.  My '86 Mustang is classic enough for them.  It was cheaper to buy year-round insurance from them than to buy 6 months worth from my regular insurance company, plus it's an agreed-value policy so they would pay me what the car is worth if another drunk ran into it.  Now it's insured all year.n I added the Chevy even though it hasn't actually consented to run yet.

Chris Campbell

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
Hagerty is what I had to but I was too busy last year to drive it and just let it run out.  Gotta get it back on there because I'm ready to put the top down and feel the wind blowing through my scalp.