Author Topic: Stromberg Carlson  (Read 409 times)

Countryford

• View Profile
Stromberg Carlson
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
Several years ago I responded to a Craigslist ad for this console radio. I ended up going to this old run down shack on the outside of town. The people that were selling it were the children of the guy who owned the shack and the console. He had passed away about a year prior and they were getting around the cleaning the place up and selling off stuff. Sadly the roof of this shack leaked on top of this console. This was in Tucson, AZ which is about 1.5 hours north of Mexico. I believe that this set was probably purchased in Mexico when new and at some time brought over into the US. All of the writing on the set is in Spanish, which also leads me to believe that it was possibly made in Mexico as well. I also have the original paperwork on it, which is all in Spanish too.

Obviously it is not in working condition and I have not yet started working on it. The cabinet is not in good shape either. The picture doesn't quite reflect it's poor condition. The laminate top is cracked all over and pieces are missing from the top. Part of the particle board is also separating. I do have all the pieces for it. I had placed it in storage for couple of years. When I went to bring it to the house, I noticed that the picture tube somehow got cracked. I think it was probably from the extreme heat here in Arizona. I've posted this on other forums and no one has ever seen anything like it.

Countryford

• View Profile
Re: Stromberg Carlson
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »
Here is one of the pamphlets that came with the set that shows the same model. As you can see it is written in Spanish. 

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
VERY interesting console!

If I didn't know better I would have guessed that it was German built!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:19:10 PM »
VERY interesting console!

If I didn't know better I would have guessed that it was German built!

Yeah, my reaction to the photo was that it must have been after S-C stopped building stuff here in the U.S.  Somebody probably bought the name and slapped it on imported electronics.  The high-gloss lacquer is also typical of European equipment of that era.

Chris Campbell

Countryford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
Did SC have a plant in Mexico?

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »
I would imagine that Stromberg-Carlson would have rebadged the unit, being a part of General Dynamics at the time, I doubt if its name would have been available to another manufacturer, for their use. I'd guess it was a South American produced unit of a European manufacturer.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke