Author Topic: Silvertone 1963 tube console  (Read 408 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Silvertone 1963 tube console
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:58:28 AM »
The sams for this console is 626, which includes amp, receiver and TV chassis. I just unloaded it last week after a trip up north to see a friend who collects only TV's and it was a fine example of using a lifting strap for the less - massive consoles. To pull it from truck, I use it to "lift the other end, while using my belt to catch the legs on my side.

I thread the strap between the legs to lift the other end so I can take it up the steps (all the light ones are upstairs now), but I ended up "bear-hugging" to carry it for the 50 feet to the shop.

Opening it up like a kid at Christmas, I was very happy to see a transformer power supply and two original 6BQ5 tubes made by Sylvania (312) for the SE stereo amp. The tuner appears to have a MPX decoder on board. All hand-wired probably made for Sears by Arvin or Warwick. I plan to keep this only until a more expensive Silvertone shows up -not sure what their TOTL was.

The one strange thing I noticed was that two 12" full range speakers are used, no HF drivers. Maybe the speakers have the 'whizzer cones". We'll see :P
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Silvertone 1963 tube console
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »
If it's like the little Silvertone I did a few years back it's got 4" or 5" drivers sitting co-axially in front of the 12's.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:14:10 AM »
I was going to suggest the same thing--that dirty grille cloth shows right where they sit.  My Magnavox Magnasonic has the same deal.  The giveaway is the crossover cap and the wires going to the tweeter.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
I pulled the Sams and my model is on the front page, not a TV combo as is often the case. The parts list and schematic indicates 4-inch drivers must be in there. I will try some carpet cleaner on the grill cloth after vacuuming it from both sides. Its not bad looking if it comes clean. No tears or holes anyway.

Also I noted that only the AM tuner and IF amps are on a circuit board, the rest is hand-wired. Sears radios-tvs from the 60s always puzzled me because the tubes and layouts were similar to other makes and you just knew one of the big guys made it for them. Only after the internet did I find out who made most of it besides the sets that were obviously Japanese: Sanyo and Toshiba, which were making the smaller Sears TVs etc, often with tubes, well into the 70s. I think Sears went to Admiral for large TV after Warwick stopped, maybe 1974 on...

In this case, the OEM is Warwick Manufacturing of Chicago, which made most of the Sears electronics in this period having the 528 chassis prefix code.  The record changer was made by Crescent for Sears, having the earlier conical lever knobs. I have a Sears SS portable RP with a few issues that I would use for parts.

What I really like about this one is that, while its certainly not Silvertone's top console, it reminds me of a Zenith with the SE 6BQ5 amp and separate stereo tuner. 
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
The separate tuner and control panel is reminiscent of GE practice.  I see yours has a hard-wired chassis, so that answers that question.  I wondered if it was PCB.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
I kinda like the Silvertones. Maybe it's a nastalgia for the position of Sears in our prior world.

I have a bigger two-piece in dismal condition. Must be right about '58, since it had a separate speaker for stereo operation.
Amp and small preamp are hand wired. I don't remember about the tuner, it's a magic eye-type.

I hope yours works out well.
-Tim

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:31:51 AM »
Agreed about Silvertone! I hope to go over this one soon , if possible to compare it next to the Westinghouse console I quickly recapped.

I had a Silvertone 2264 stereo suitcase, then sold a Silvertone that used 50C5 outputs, easy repair like a 5-tube radio. The only limitation was that speakers, both 6" rounds, were not detachable.

The Crescent-made "Syntronic" changer had those round conical lever knobs, which this one does, and were my favorite feature. Later ones were like paddles on the players in solid state models.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
Those tidbit details like knob design are what I miss about the style of almost everything. And I may miss the careful construction of those details even more.

Here's some neat vintage knob design info I picked up from a very knowledgeable chap on another site...

-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 09:36:46 PM »
Good design enriches our lives in ways we don't always notice.  In Midland, Michigan the Alden Dow house and studio is a museum now, and a stunning  example of how a carefully-designed house improves the quality of life.  Dow, a son of the founder of Dow Chemical, was a major mid-20th century architect.  In the living room area there's a Fisher receiver and AR speakers.

Chris Campbell