Author Topic: General Electric Tube console  (Read 387 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
General Electric Tube console
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
I just picked this up on a trip upstate, from the original owner. It was probably bought at a small-town appliance store. As you can see from the photos, its pre-1964 due to conelrad marks on the AM scale. It claims FM stereo although it does it on the cheap, with one tube. I have seen this GE tuner in a few other models, like TV-stereo combos.

I was expecting a GE changer but this is a Voice of Music and appears original. The 8"/ 3" speakers are probably the most a single-ended 6AQ5 output tubes can drive.

Overall, this is a lightweight console but interesting nonetheless. GE had to make mid-priced and expensive consoles, but I have not seen one to date.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: General Electric Tube console
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Probably the easiest capacitor replacement, GE does it all with fewer parts.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
The 3" cone tweeter has a "Colonial" stamp on it, Sylvania's parts division. The 8" speaker is "Magnetic Coil Manufacturing" of Chicago. 

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »
GE was the Muntz of audio.  They did a lot with few components.  I like GE stuff personally.  Their Achilles' Heel is their printed circuit boards.  Not very good and really brittle by now.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:56:54 AM »
I have one just like it, or very similar. But mine came to me with torn grills, a record changer with a rock hard idler wheel, and the tuner and speakers barley connected to the amp. Its a work in progress I am fixing it up for my brother and is currently waiting for me to fit the Dual 1225 turntable to it, then gets another coat of stain, and new grill fabric and put back together.