Author Topic: New member in Houston  (Read 365 times)

Aristotle

• View Profile
New member in Houston
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Hello.  I'm new to the forum and thought I should introduce myself.  I'm a philosophy professor in Houston, and I have a long-standing interest in vintage tube technology.  I don't, however, have any real knowledge of electronics.  I just love finding and acquiring this stuff and learning about it.  I don't even have a soldering iron. In the past I have hired people to repair things.  Nevertheless, I'm slowly learning.  I have 5 consoles. One is an old Philco highboy, which is just a nice piece of furniture. Another is a 1955 (or '54) Capehart, which is the rare phonograph only.  I had it refurbished in 2002 and it has been playing beautifully ever since, though in the last month it has gradually started getting a hiss & static sound. Then I have a one-owner, 1962 RCA Victor, 23 tube, 3-channel radio and phonograph. I got it recently and have not had it refurbished. It has a 15" woofer, two 5x7s and two tweeters. I have also a 1957 (?) Blaupunkt that I have never had refurbished and which is basically furniture (well, it serves liquor). Finally, I have just acquired a beast I found in a Houston suburb, which is a 1964 GE.  It has 10 speakers, plus a portable, wireless "porta-fi" speaker, which can be mounted anywhere in the house. The console has a separate transmitter chassis that sends the signal to this speaker.  This GE, as found, seems capable of filling a stadium with sound, and according to an add I saw for it, has a 100-watt amp.  It has also the "Vacu-Magic" phonograph, which uses an internal vacuum pump and hose system to pull air across the record (and needle?). 

electra225

• View Profile
Re: New member in Houston
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:41 PM »
This is the place if you like console stereos.  Welcome aboard!
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
Just be cautious about trusting advertised power output.  The advertising departments had a big influence on the numbers.  Many companies used highly fanciful data.  Eventually the FTC stepped in and promulgated a trade regulation rule the standardize power testing and measurement.  I always tell the story of taking my Heathkit AA-22 amp to a McIntosh amplifier clinic in Columbus, OH when I was a student.  It was advertised as 20 w.p.c. and damned if it didn't meet specs, including distortion levels at rated output.  I still have the graph that Dave O'Brien made as he ran the test.   (Read about the clinics here: http://roger-russell.com/clinics.htm)  Love you, Heath!  Well, my buddy had just purchased a "100 watt" amplifier from Olson, one of those hobbyist chains like Radio Shack and Lafayette.  He headed over to the Mac clinic and came back with a dejected look.  His amp couldn't meet distortion specs at 1/4 rated power. 

The good news is that most of our consoles have pretty efficient speaker arrays and they don't require a gazillion watts to make loud and listenable music. 

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
Oops, I meant "that standardized."

Chris

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:08:48 AM »
Yes, I'm sure advertising claims can't always be trusted.  On the other hand, I can honestly say that this unit seems to have more output than my other consoles combined.  In fact, it sort of makes me wonder why so much power was put in a unit anyway, since no one, I'm supposing, would really use it all. (Btw, I know some Mag. Concert Grand ads claimed 100 watt output also.)  what is interesting about this GE beast is that its remote wireless speaker has its own separate amp, and one could, therefore, put these wireless speakers all over the house.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
Magnavox was king of the console stereos, but they also employed some folks in their advertising department with over-active imaginations.   ;)
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »
As usual I'm a little late with the welcome............SO WELCOME!

I have never heard of GE making anything that big and powerful.  Do you have pictures?  Pictures of the RCA too please.  We love pictures, at least I do.  ;D

Looking forward to your posts on the forum

Bill

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »
Yes, absolutely, I'll post pics. Do I just go to the attachments center and it has a button for pics??

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
It's been a long time since I attached anything but if memory serves that sounds about right.  Looking forward to your pictures.

Bill

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
Here are pics of my 1964 GE 10-speaker unit, an add for the unit, and pics of my 1963 3-channel RCA console.

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
1964 GE

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:10 PM »
Changer

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »
RCA

Aristotle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:43:06 PM »
RCA

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Very Nice...and... Welcome Aboard!

For future reference, under the little attachments box is a line that reads (more attachments), you can click that line to add up to 6 photo's to a single post.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!