Author Topic: BYPASSING SPEAKER SWITCH ON 1961 MAGGIE IMPERIAL  (Read 198 times)

racfan9

• View Profile
BYPASSING SPEAKER SWITCH ON 1961 MAGGIE IMPERIAL
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
Hey Guys,

I need to bypass the speaker selector switch on this console so I can hook the speakers straight to the amp terminals until I can find a replacement selector. So if someone has a diagram or photo I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Terry,

electra225

• View Profile
Re: BYPASSING SPEAKER SWITCH ON 1961 MAGGIE IMPERIAL
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
I won't ask why you want to bypass the speaker switch, but here is my two cents worth,  The speaker plug for my Imperial 8100 series amplifier is a molex plug just in front of one of the 5U4 rectifiers,  You will see a wad of wires going toward the speaker switch.  You would need to interrupt that wad of wires to bypass the speaker switch.  There will be a Channel 1 bass wire and treble wire and a common and a Channel 2 bass wire and treble and a common.  There is a schematic in the "Downloads" section of this forum, at the top of this page.  Click on to that and go down to "Magnificent Magnavox" then select "amps" and scroll down until you find the 81-03 amp listed with its Sams file.  I would strongly recommend that you be absolutely certain of the need to interrupt this wiring before you attempt to do so.  That speaker switch would need to have been blown to smithereens or missing altogether before I personally would contemplate such a move.  Those speaker switches are commonly electrically "dirty" but I have never actually seen or experienced a bad one, or one that needed to be replaced.  I'd think that would be fairly rare.  I wish you well and hope this has been of some help to you.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »
Hey Electra225,

The switch that was in it is broke and I don't think it repairable. I mainly just wanted to hook everything back up to see how the unit as a whole was going to sound. I will go back to using the switch once I find one.

Terry,

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
I've been thinking about this, so I went out in the shop and did some tinkering to try and find a workaround.  It looks to me like you like a good way would be to use jumper wires.  Connect the jumper wires to the switch terminals in the appropriate order so the speakers could work.  I am chicken when working with multi-terminal switches like speaker switches and band/function switches.  I believe I would avoid disconnecting any wires on the speaker switch until I got a replacement switch.  Then I would disconnect one wire at a time and re-connect it on the replacement switch.  Do you know how or why the original switch got damaged?  The wires are color-coded and the code is printed on the cabinet back.  Failing that, you could refer to the schematic for the speaker wiring codes.  I sure wish you well.

racfan9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »
Thanks Electra225, I bought a replacement switch of the Bay, the exact one out of a Imperial. Just happened to be searching Magnavox and there it was, how lucky am I.

Terry,

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
I'd say you were very fortunate, indeed.  That will solve lots of problems for you.  Good luck with the replacement.