Author Topic: Magnavox 1971 Astrosonic 2P3763  (Read 266 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Magnavox 1971 Astrosonic 2P3763
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
I got this for $20 from a neighbor moving back to NYC, who did not want to take it along. After trying it at home, I knew the real reason he unloaded it. It is very clean and had the 8-track under the left side, which I traded for some parts.

Chassis R231 is a 50-watt receiver that has the pushbuttons instead of the rotary selector. I cleaned them with deoxit, the stepped tone controls and the timbre/balance/volume pots. Once you remove the Palnuts, the chassis slides upward. The only wires I disconnected were the FM antenna ;D Easy!

It still sounded awful after deoxit, so I decided to proceed with a full recap even though none of the caps tested high on my ESR tester.  I got the RF-IF/preamp/PB selector board recapped and slid the chassis back in. WOW - just doing the front end and preamp made a huge difference. The power supply and driver-output stages are still left to do along with a clean-lube on the Micromatic changer.

So far I have only a needle and 20 some caps invested. It took only 45 minutes to desolder and replace half of them so far. I would like to sell this console locally. Based on how fast this effort has gone to date, I might make some money :)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox 1971 Astrosonic 2P3763
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
I looked at the first photo.  You can see several other large wood-encased electronic devices behind the featured item.  "Ah," I thought, "another garage full of Valuable Treasures."  But then  saw the metal siding off to the left and knew it was a pole barn.  Once upon a time I lusted after a cement mixer.  These days it's fantasies about having a pole barn.  All the cars, radios, and other great stuff in one place!

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »

A pole barn it is, circa 2000. Behind is an RCA Finlandia and RCA VCR244 behind it with a Stromberg Carlson 1210PL at left.

I do have the cement mixer from HF, a cheap one.

I live on a farmstead at the edge of a field, so rodent control is essential. Ill get a picture of him in another post.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
The caps are done! and it sounds like new, except for noise coming on FM between stations, Its coming from the MPX converter.

Im not sure how much I will pursue that one. The record changer is next.....
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
All 24 of the caps replaced. Many would test OK on the ESR, but under any kind of musical bombardment, they would flake. This is call "shot-gunning" the electrolytics which should be SOP for all 40-plus year-old solid state equipment.

Using solder-wick and a weller WCTP station, took me 1.5 hours maximum. The end result is an amplifier that will sound like its rated, in this case 50 watts. Even the AM band sounds awesome, but record player performance alone should make this a desirable unit
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
I really need to do this to my 1P3700 before something goes POP!

You have inspired me to just do it Dave.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!