Author Topic: Pee Wee King  (Read 100 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Pee Wee King
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
My dad's absolutely most favorite singer, band leader of all time, Pee Wee King.  If I had a nickel for every Pee Wee King platter I have spun in my time, I'd be a multi-billionaire.  I still have many, if not all, of dad's Pee Wee King records he played at barn dances.  I have this song on a 78, but it is a little different from this version.  I played records on a Newcomb TR-16AM that I still have.  IIRC, Pee Wee King recorded on Decca, while his lead singer, Redd Stewart, recorded on RCA.  There may have been variations of this on occasion.  Both King and Stewart were pretty much done by the time the Nashville Sound came about.  I have often wondered how they would have sounded with Bergen White strings and the Anita Kerr backup singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J68XhyH97BA

I found this version of the "Tennessee Waltz" and it appears to have been recorded fairly late in Redd Stewart's career.  Dad usually preferred "Kentucky Waltz" to the other one, but Redd Stewart did both of them very well, made them famous, in fact.  There might be just a hint of the Nashville sound in this recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbv5cC0LnOk
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Pee Wee King
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
This is a little off-topic, but those speaker-in-lid commercial players were commonly used in schools--I remember  big black one being used in the school gym when I was in grade school (1950s).  I've got the amplifier from one, thanks to the school system's electronics guy who pitched a few discard items my way.  The amp has phono and mic inputs, P-P 6V6 output, and has the control knobs facing upward.  No identifying info.  I have always wondered about the manufacturer.  My brother's buddy used it for a while to power his lap steel guitar.  It's been on my someday shelf ever since.  Who's the exert on tbhose devices, anyway?

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Pee Wee King
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:15:11 PM »
A Newcomb like I have that was my dad's is not a school player.  It is a heavy duty commercial rig.  It was commonly used back in the day by guys like my dad who did dances and other public "gigs" and auctioneers.  It has 6V6 P-p audio with two 12" speakers.  It has a four speed record player with a four pole motor about the size of a modern day dishwasher motor.  Mine has LOTS of hours on it.  It has a feature where you can keep the motor running, yet you can stop the turntable from spinning.  It has a GE variable-reluctance cartridge with replaceable needles, one for "microgroove" and one for 78's.  It has accomodations for two microphones, phono, and tuner inputs.  It really sounds pretty good, even today.  The only thing I have ever played on it is 78's.  Maybe some 45's in the day, but never any LP's.  It will accommodate a 16" transcription record.  It has a strobe light and a variable speed adjustment for exact record speed.  IIRC, dad paid almost $100 for it when he got it somewhere around 1955.  Mine still works okay, but it needs a new platter.  The original is hot-rivieted to the spindle and the rivets have worked loose.  The turntable is wobbly if you don't keep an eye on it.  That is one my list of stuff to do "sometime" that I have not gotten accomplished. 

Edit....Sorry Chris, I misread the first line of your post.  You did not say this was a school player.  You used the terminology "speaker in the lid" which this one is.  It has a companion speaker that goes along with it. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....