Author Topic: Magnavox Berkeley Acquired!  (Read 842 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Berkeley Acquired!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »
The 2 pieces that pass through the plate holds it snug on the chassis.  They will be the front mounting points.  Mine just has the plate in the false album and mounts in the same way.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
Got the plate off. Parts are in the mail.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
Congratulations on getting that FM tuner, especially free.  ;) You paid half of what I did for my Berkeley which had the FM tuner in it along with a newer 4-speed record changer perfectly fitted in. Ill post my pictures in tube repairs and cabinet restoration as its been a slow go with this one.

I just got finished recapping and aligning the CR198 receiver and recapping CR192 FM chassis. You may see a lot of square mica-looking caps on that FM tuner. These are .05 uf paper caps that tested abysmally on my checker. good luck with the mounting, its very robustly built unit.

The last thing to do before placing it in the cabinet is to align the FM using an AM generator as recommended in the service lit in downloads. Even with the speakers safely boxed while I service the chassis, you can hear what 18 HONEST watts sounds like and those 6L6's get HOT, be careful. The sharp-tune filter on the treble pot is pretty interesting feature of the receiver in itself. It has a switch built onto it for two variable modes, clicks at each end of control travel. it will be great to see what your experiences are.

What model number is yours and what record changer is in it? My model tag says 134B.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 01:47:29 PM »
Yes I am very excited especially at the tuner sensitivity and performance. The build quality in of itself is pretty spectacular, not to make any jabs but there's a fairly clear distinction between a unit like this and an imperial quality wise. Regardless, I am very giddy about getting it going. I own the lower end Traditional model, and the AM selectivity is quite gorgeous.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
I send the advice on those old flat mica-looking caps.  My 1951-era unit, CR 216B, is awaiting recapping.  The amp had started motor-boating and I'm sure it's one of those gone astray.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 06:42:19 PM »
Oops, meant to say "second" the advice.

Chris Campbell

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
They're all gonna get changed, don't worry.