Author Topic: RCA console - lower and upper speaker enclosure  (Read 712 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
RCA console - lower and upper speaker enclosure
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
Has anyone seen one like this? I bet Larry has. It is of the 1963-64 style, as opposed to the earlier non-multiplex FM sets. Its great to see the other variations posted in this forum.

I am picking this up Friday and cannot wait to see what's inside. Are there high-frequency speakers or horns in the upper part? I'll have to move some out and maybe donate others to make room.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: RCA console - lower and upper speaker enclosure
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »
I've never seen one of these in person, but I think the upper part contains mid range and tweeter speakers, woofers in the bottom area.
--Larry

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
Looks super clean.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »
6 speakers is pretty standard with that chassis so most likely a pair of woofs in the bottom and mids/tweets up top.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
I just brought it home and teh model is 3VF516 - Sams 649, which I do not have but similar to a 1V646 in sams 632, that I have.  It was in a farmhouse basement addition and in perfect shape, no sign of dampness. Even the record player had a replacement needle with it but no paperwork. The original owner (deceased) had it in a daylight basement rec room and at least one neighbor recalls playing pool there and listening to it just a few years ago.

The folks who were holding it after the estate sale told me the radio worked good. It goes to show that a dry, stable environment and occasional usage seems to postpone capacitor failure. Never mind, Ill test tubes and replace caps before I power up ;), who needs to tempt fate.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave