Author Topic: Homemade speaker ?  (Read 462 times)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Homemade speaker ?
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
Do these look homemade or factory? I see the wheel behind the leg which I have seen on factory console's ?

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade speaker ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
The very simple joinery work of the panels makes me think home built.  That's not to say that they are not desirable, or that they might contain some very nice drivers.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
He's supposed to take the back off and send some pics.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
I agree with Ken.  Homebuilt.  The joints on the tops of the cabinets would not show with factory cabinets.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
I agree with Ken.  Homebuilt.  The joints on the tops of the cabinets would not show with factory cabinets.

Me too.  Factory enclosures typically had either mitered corners or a veneer covering whatever other form of joinery was used.  My Dad and I put together some ElectroVoice reflex enclosures in the early '60s, from kits.  They used a sort of rabbeted butt joint to look less obvious.

But there's nothing wrong with home-built if they used a good design and good innards suited to that design.

Chris Campbell

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »
  The shadow on the grill seems to indicate a 12-15" woofer and either a good-sized horn or a large rectangular port is behind it. Looks like a decent DIY job- I'd wager there is something interesting inside!

-Tim

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
I have had bad luck this year finding quality stereo's. The way my luck has been going I bet the  original speakers were probably replaced in the 80's with some Radio Shack brand. We've had a lot of bad storms lately  I guarantee those cabinets are sitting outside on that porch right now.  My best find this year so far is a 1939 Zenith glass rod radio for $25

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »
there is a possibly that these are extension speakers. possibly organ, due to the simple design and wheels.

looks to be a 15" driver with port.

I only say organ due to the size. anything quality or higher end would have some earmark (build quality, label, etc)
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »
My first pair of stereo speakers were homemade.  I built one, a little reflex, back-vented bookshelf sized one, from plans in what was then "HiFi-Stereo Review," the Aug. 1964 (maybe '63) issue.  I stuffed it with a GE 8" "Extended Range" speaker that I found. That was my freshman dorm room speaker the next year, powered by a Bogen DB-115 amp (6BQ5 outputs 15 watts) and with a Garrard RC-88 changer.  Next I built a second matching speaker, and then I built a Heath stereo amp and bought a Dual 1009 auto turntable. Then came the KLH Model 17 speakers, a vast step up.  Still have all the equipment, although  re-stuffed the speaker enclosures and added tweeters.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »
That's a good observation from Vintage Cltr.  Allen organ companies cabinets are pretty crud.  They aren't usually finished, just painted chip board or sometimes plywood and hidden up high in a church so they are out of sight.  They do make finished ones but still are not as nice as stereo component speakers. Allen does use some nice drivers.

Bill

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 11:08:15 PM »
No word from the seller

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
What is a reasonable price for this Altec ? Seller finally sent a picture

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »
Looks like your luck has changed! Those look like 15" Altec 604C duplex speakers.  :o   If the one picture is any indication, they look to be in super clean shape.  Now blown drivers, who knows.  In great functional condition, a quick search shows them priced in the high hundreds, each, if they come with the original crossover.  If you can snag them for a reasonable price, go for it!  What a great pair of extension speakers for a Maggie Concert Grand.
Paul

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
is there a pair of 604's?

if so, those are early and worth $$$$.

after seeing the inside of cabinet, they look very homemade.

even if you picked up cheap, the resale value might be in your favor.

let me know, I would be interested in those.
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
I supposed to go pick them up Friday.