Author Topic: Tone arm skipping on collaro  (Read 310 times)

delco1946

• View Profile
Tone arm skipping on collaro
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:04:11 AM »
I believe I have a collaro conquest turntable (model F-200c), and the tone arm skips sometimes. Its as if the tone arm has a bit of resistance that the tracking can't overcome. What could cause this? Do i have to lubricate the tone arm pivot? There appear to be a ton of small moving parts, which one requires lube and how do i take the tone arm pivot point apart to access it and clean it?

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Tone arm skipping on collaro
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
I believe I would start by making sure the needle is known good and that the tone arm is tracking at the proper weight.  Mine track just fine at 4 grams or so, but much lighter than that might cause an issue.  Make sure the changer is sitting level and that the suspension springs are there.  I would not take a Collaro apart for a million dollars so someone else will have to advise you there.  What cartridge does it have, an EV 26?
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »
Well, if you have gummed-up lube in the horizontal arm bearings, it will need to be cleaned up.  Last one I did was a Lenco turntable with lots of little ball bearings.  It was not as scary as it sounds, and it solved the problem.

Maybe you could try spraying something like WD-40 on top so it dribbles down though the whole works, dissolving some of the old lube.  If that improved things, you could attack it properly.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
You should be able to find service information for this changer in the downloads section that will give you plenty of information about how the device is constructed and how to service it.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

delco1946

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »
So the needle is brand new (i replaced it myself), i can check the tracking weight but it feels similar to other tonearms from this era. I've looked at the service document, but i guess i was wondering how to take it apart as simply as possible. Start under the deck or from the top?? It looks pretty intense :(. Any suggestions??

delco1946

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
So i think i have the wrong manual. No downloads exist for F-200c? Which one do i want?

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
Collaro Custom Conquest Changer Service Info:  http://vintagehifi.net/index.php?action=dldir;sa=details;lid=43
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

delco1946

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
Well i think i fixed the dragging but now the wheel that contacts the motor shaft doesn't turn to cycle the changer on less i stand there and manually turn the reject button. >:(

delco1946

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »
I take it back, i think it might be ok, its just hard to actuate all the right levers in the right sequence by hand. I recapped it for a friend and so he has the base so it may be a couple days before i can power it up to test it. Unrelated to skipping, but does anyone know how and what to use to polish the plastic/bakelite tone arm and parts?

And the issue (i think) was that the feeler or "friction clutch assembly" piece that glides along the cam wheel was dragging too much. Theres an easy to access adjusting screw near the underside of the tone arm, but of course hindsight is 20/20.